We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escalator`s to Old Town

Manchester
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Escalator`s to Old Town

Hi, I`am staying at the Cerro Mar Garden`s in April. I know that there are a number of steps, leading down to the Old Town. But i`am sure, i have read that there is an escalator, which goes down to the Old Town square.

The steps will not be a problem for me and my family, but it will be nice to know just in-case we are fealing lazy.

Thank`s Steve

Wyre
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Not sure where the cerro gardens are located but there are escalators at the eastern side of the Old Town close to where the road train stops and fishermans beach

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

You're on the wrong side for the escalators I'm afraid.

Worth an afternoon drink at the restaurants facing Fisherman's Beach. Some great offers last year and no premium prices for a great setting. Hope it's the same this year.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,840 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Lots of steps back up to Cerro Mar, will keep you fit.

Manchester
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
4. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Cheer`s for all your replys. Which bars and restaurant`s do you recommend around the old town area, which are good prices.

Also any ideas on the weather at the start of April ?

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Two 'cheapie' restaurants I looking forward to trying if their menus suit are:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

and

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Great reviews and cheap tourist / set menus and very close to your hotel.

Around 10 - 11 euros for a set menu with drinks. Both local cuisine I think.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,840 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

For restaurants, try to steer clear of the tourist traps around the square when you get to the bottom of those steps. There are a couple good places a couple of minutes walk. Cross the square towards the Millennium bank, up the little alley and turn right. You will be in Rua 5 Outubro (the tunnel street) and there you will see three or four restaurants including O Catraio and O Veleiro which both have very good set menus for around 10 Euros.

Bars, plenty to choose from down by the beach for a drink overlooking the sea and there are restaurants as well. For the weekend daytimes and all evenings, there's a bar called the Cavern run by British people just a few steps from the square. Around the square there are several bars with music by cover bands in the evenings.

Weather at the start of April can be showery. Portuguese has an expression equivalent to 'April showers'. Daytime temperatures should be at least in the 18 - 20C range usually hotter. Nighttimes can still feel a bit cool especially if its windy, 12 - 15C.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 00:04
Manchester
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
7. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Thank`s very much for that information. If you can think of any more bar`s and restaurant`s, will you let me know please.

Cheer`s

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

The Rock Cafe is situated in the Square and plays live music if that's your thing.

http://rockcafe.alburock.com/en/index.html

Blackpool
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

Hi, does anyone know if the mime act still performs in the streets of the old town in the evening. We saw him a couple of years ago but he didn't seem to be around last year. He was really funny, imitating the people walking down the street, hope he is around this year.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Escalator`s to Old Town

I saw him last year when we went in July and I said to my husband I hope we see him this year. I agree he was very funny.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira
Recent Conversations