We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seville to Algarve

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Seville to Algarve

How does one get from Seville to Quinta de Lago? We'll be visiting in December and plan to take day trips out of Seville and then move on to Quinta de Lago where we can base and rent a car for a week to take day or overnight trips in Portugal. Where is the best place to rent a car? We'll be flying out of Lisbon. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for your comments.

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Seville to Algarve

the drive from seville to the algarve is about 3.5 - 4 hours long. it's a very direct and smooth drive. i would recommend doing day trips from seville to other parts of spain - not to portugal. i'm not sure where quinta de lago is relative to the rest of the algarve, but i would recommend being based in lagos and do day trips from there to other parts of the algarve (ie portimao, albufeira, cape sagres, etc.)

i rented a car online from hertz.

Seville
12 posts
2. Re: Seville to Algarve

Hi!!

I've heard about a new coach network traveling within Spain & Portugal for backpacking enthusiasts called Eurohop - www.eurohop.eu . I checked on their webpage and they are doing some great discounts.

- Lands of the Sun Route: Madrid- Toledo-Granada-Cordova-Seville-Lagos-Lisbon-Salamanca. This route costs right now around 115 pounds sterling.

- Eastern Route: Barcelona-Valencia-Madrid. This route costs 50 pounds sterling only.

I learnt that tickets are valid until 30 September. Travelers can hop on and hop off whenever they want, without additional charges.

Coaches stop in each city every two days and they have onboard guide to give tips about alternative places to visit, what to see and what to do…

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Seville to Algarve

The only scheduled direct public transport link between Seville and the Algarve is a twice-daily bus service. This does not operate at weekends in December.

You can do it by train, bus, ferry, and train or bus again if you are brave.

To answer this and similar questions I have put all the information I can find on a personal, unofficial webpage at

thomasallen.home.sapo.pt/travel/001.htm

i am told if that you hire a car in Seville (Spain) and leave it in Portugal there are some serious costs involved. However others will need to comment about that in detail.

Leicester
1 post
4. Re: Seville to Algarve

Quoted 500 euros for four days car hire to collect car in Seville and leave at Faro airport!! We used the coach operated by Alsa instead - see www.alsa.es

New Jersey
Level Contributor
684 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Seville to Algarve

I rented a car in Lisbon, and drove down to Albufeira.

From Albufeira I took day trips to Seville and several places in the Algarve. This worked very well for me.

The drive from Albufeira (middle Algarve) to Seville was only about 2 hours and not 3 to 4 hours like others have said. Its about 230 km.

kent
Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: Seville to Algarve

Do you know if there any extra charges renting a car in Seville, travelling to the Algarve before returning the car to Seville a week later?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
684 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Seville to Algarve

as long you return to the same place they usually don't care where you go

Cheshire England
5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Seville to Algarve

Often do the Seville to Quinta do Lago. Its much cheaper to fly to Seville than to Faro and the journey is a very easy 2 hours. The airport at Seville is small and you get through very quickly. Car hire in Spain with travel to Portugal has never presented us with any problems or additional costs

9. Re: Seville to Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 16:17