We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed to local train connectios

8 posts
Save Topic
Speed to local train connectios

We have booked a train from Lisbon that is scheduled to arrive Porto - Campanha at 16:50, with a connecting local train arriving Porto - Sao Bento at 17:00. The same ticket covers both trains.

There is only 6 minutes given to us to get to the local train. Is it possible? How do we quickly find the platform for the local train? If we miss the first local train and decide to take the next one, can we use the same ticket or do we have to purchase another ticket?

Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
995 Reviews
from USD 107.70*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,200 Reviews
from USD 89.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
758 Reviews
from USD 89.70*
10 replies to this topic
J M
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Yes, that should be enough time.

Check in advance in what platform the local train will be. Leave the intercity train, go downstairs, there's a single tunnel crossing all platforms, go upstairs in the matching platform. Don't be anxious: if by some reason you fail to take that train, just take the next train to Porto São Bento.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Thanks.

How/where do I check platfotm in advance? I do not see platform on https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en.

Can I use the same ticket for the next train?

J M
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Right. I'm sorry. Tickets do not have the platform number. Still, 5 minutes should be enough time, even if you haven't been there before.

If you don't make it on time, just take the next train to Porto São Bento. No need to buy an extra ticket. At least a few years ago, with an intercity/alfa ticket you could take any suburban train between Campanhã and São Bento. Suburban trains do not have numbered seats.

Edited: 21 August 2018, 13:09
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed to local train connectios

When you exit the train from Lisbon go down to the tunnel that connects the platforms and look for the TV screens, which train is in which platform is there.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,910 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Trains between Campanhã and São Bento leave every few minutes. It simply does not matter which one you take. Your ticket is good for any of them.

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Last question. Do I need to date-stamped local train tickets on the platform or the train?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Do I need to date-stamped local train tickets on the platform or the train? For this connection? No, you don't.

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Thanks again.

Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speed to local train connectios

When you get up onto the platform from which your local train is to depart, please check the video monitor on that platform to be sure that the train you need is the NEXT train to leave from that platform. It is not uncommon at a Portuguese rail station for multiple trains going to multiple destinations to leave from the same platform within a very few minutes of one another.

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Speed to local train connectios

Will do. Thanks.

Reply to: Speed to local train connectios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted