We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
105 reviews
Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

We are driving (no other option, so please don’t suggest we fly or take a train...) from Porto to Extremadura region in Spain in late August and wondered about stopping off somewhere on the way to break the journey. We are open to ideas of out of the way places that have some merit in stopping at, with accommodation and food options. 2 mature adults, exploring and adventuring.

Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
1,007 Reviews
from USD 106.10*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,235 Reviews
from USD 88.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
772 Reviews
from USD 88.40*
6 replies to this topic
Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Without wishing to seem difficult, Extremadura is, as I'm sure you know, a massive region, with a very long Portuguese border.

Are you looking to "get out of Portugal" as early as possible (Miranda do Douro springs to mind), or to meander about on the way (Serra da Estrella is beautiful)? Is this a single overnight, or part of a bit of a trip?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Ideally we’d like a one night stopover in Portugal as we head away from Porto. We are heading towards Caceres, or nearby, as another stop towards Arcos de la Frontera, trying to break our trip down from extremely long drives.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,156 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Between Porto and Caceres you have Serra da Estrela (as sugested above) or the historical villages. Sites centerofportugal.com/serra-da-estrela-natura…

centerofportugal.com/historical-villages-of-…

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Ah - so many choices, just one trip!

Personally, I love the Serra da Estrela and, when I'm not in a hurry, I love to drive through it. But these are serious mountains - winding roads yes, but they're decent roads - perhaps overnight in Manteigas (about 3 hours to drive there), then drive the spectacular glacier road to the "Torre" (the top), and on to Cáceres (another 3 or 4 hours).

Viseu is another possibility, but perhaps not quite far enough on day 1.

Guarda is little visited, but quite attractive, the highest city in Portugal, one of the highest in Europe - the coolness might be a welcome respite.

You could "hot foot" it to Marvão or thereabouts - the most beautiful castle in Portugal (arguably), leaving you an easy 2 hours to Cáceres the next day, so some time to explore the area - Castelo de Vide, for example. Don't be tempted to stay in Vila Velha de Rodão - Vila Smela, we call it and if you get close you'll know why.

Boston
Level Contributor
118 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

Hello I read one of your post that encouraged me to explore and area that seems quite beautiful.

Itinerary from Oct 5-12

From Rio Bom we would drive to Torre de Moncorvo where we can overnight in an airbnb and visit the following day the Vale de Coa Rock Art then we would drive to Guveia in the Serra de Estrela and stay overnight at airbnb and visit following day Manteigas and Torre

then drive to Coimbra (my husband really wants to go there he thinks that I will take him to many Natural Parks ) stay 2 nights in Coimbra and then drive to Evora and stay 3 nights.

Our entire itinerary would be:

Depart Boston Sep 25

Sep 26-29 Porto 3 nights rent a car on Sep 29

29-30 Soajo

01-3 Guimares we probably drive to Pitoes de Junias and then to Guimares arriving later

in afternoon

3-4 Rio Bom Lamego

5 drive throu Pinhao to Torre de Moncorvo

the rest you have it above

12-17 5 nights Lisbon we drop the car on the 12

We want to avoid long drive we are in our early to mid 70s have traveled a lot in our life all over the world. Thank you for you advice Car is rented, lodging cfmd in Porto, Soajos, Guimares, Rio Bom, Lisbon.

THANK YOU!

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain

That will, weather permitting, be a lovely route.

Try to get an early start leaving Gouveia so you can fully enjoy the drive, stop at viewpoints, stop for coffees etc, and don't forget it may be really quite cold up on the mountain.

Reply to: Stopping off point on our way from Porto towards Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted