We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Expedia

Rockland...
5 posts
Save Topic
Beware of Expedia

A lot of you probably already know this, but I didn't. I recently booked my first trip to Europe to Portugal on TAP Airlines through Expedia. I checked the prices between the two web sites and they were the exact same. Although TAP Airlines website was slightly difficult for me to navigate. I figured I would book through Expedia because I've booked with them many times over the years and I thought I could trust them. Well it turns out that Expedia is selling you a discount ticket for the same price as a classic fair ticket. This means that instead of getting a free checked bag, you would have to pay $160 to check a bag. $190 if you check at the airport. I can't even believe this. They're charging more than $100 more for What TAP charges for a discount ticket! They are basically tricking you into thinking you were buying Classic Fair. I went through and dummy booked again with Expedia to see if I missed something, the generic information is there about may not include baggage fees and gives you a link. I clicked on the link and you would have to know that you were buying a Discount Ticket because the link does not tell you what class of ticket you're buying. So I guess my fault for not calling Expedia and asking them, although when I emailed them after the fact they didn't know and referred me to TAP Airlines anyway. Or should have just figured out how to book directly through TAP. Either way now I'm screwed because I'm not paying $160 to take one bag. So I'll have to fit everything in my carry on bags and make sure that they weigh under the limit. So just buyer beware that Expedia is selling discount limited tickets for way more money than the airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
950 Reviews
from USD 83.00*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,155 Reviews
from USD 86.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
735 Reviews
from USD 86.50*
4 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Expedia

My sympathies to you, but as "they" say...it's a lesson for next time.

I have also booked with expedia in the past, this time was with TAP.

Odd/unusual that the fare levels you saw seemed to be the same between those 2, "Discount" & "Classic"...missing out the option between those 2, which is "Basic".

Again, as I referenced on your other thread, do you have a copy of your electronic ticket that you can double check about what is shown for "Bag"?

It might not help much, or at all, but perhaps you could write a letter of complaint or "feedback" (meaning a suggestion) to Expedia to include better details in the booking process. I always say, if nobody speaks up, then a business doesn't think anything is "wrong", so it takes speaking up (by many...& hey, isn't that what social medial--which I'm not on--is all about?!) to get something changed/improved.

Have a good trip.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Expedia

I did the same thing as the OP ust last week. Luckily I caught the fact that baggage was not included and was within the time frame to cancel with Expedia and rebook directly with TAP. If you are not within 24 hours of booking, find your reservation on TAP and pay for your luggage at a big discount in advance. Paying at the airport will cost double.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 03:12
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Expedia

What I should have said above is, "if you are not within the 24 hour window of cancellation with Expedia". Yes, they are trying to look like they have the best prices so are not very explicit about what they are selling you knowing that most people are looking to book with the cheapest price thinking they are getting the same product.

Rockland...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Expedia

I dont see anything on my electronic ticket about "bag"...maybe I need to print it. I just see an itinerary...

Reply to: Beware of Expedia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted