We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel reserved but no credit card required to hold room?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
hotel reserved but no credit card required to hold room?

I have a 3 night reservation in early June in Lisbon at Shiadu hotel (this is the brand/company, I suppose). I reserved it online. No credit card was required. I emailed to confirm that they didn't need a credit card to hold the reservation and they said no -- pay on arrival. Is this common? I gather this is a busy time of year in Lisbon and I do NOT want to show up and have no room. Thanks!

Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
1,007 Reviews
from USD 106.10*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,235 Reviews
from USD 88.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
772 Reviews
from USD 88.40*
2 replies to this topic
Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
409 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: hotel reserved but no credit card required to hold room?

On several visits over the past couple of years I've found that many Portuguese hotels, especially those which are not part of an international chain, will reserve a room without asking for a credit card guarantee when you contact them directly. I've always had a room waiting for me on check-in. Just to make things easy for myself, I usually put a print-out of their email to me on the check-in counter when I arrive.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,371 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: hotel reserved but no credit card required to hold room?

Shiadu is a company with accommodation at several locations around the city. Pay on arrival often means cash, it's not that unusual not to hold a card for confirmation. I think it would be worth re-confirming a week or so beforehand and ask about cash or card.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 05:49
Reply to: hotel reserved but no credit card required to hold room?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted