We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

nyc
Level Contributor
130 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

I am an older solo female traveler who is unnerved by the horrible stories I read about departing from lisbon airport. I am visiting porto and lisbon, all things being equal, I would fly into Lisbon and out of Porto but the airfares are about $250-300 more (of course, I would avoid the train trip back) Am I overreacting?

Thanks so mjch

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
951 Reviews
from USD 83.50*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,156 Reviews
from USD 87.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
735 Reviews
from USD 87.00*
9 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

I'm curious what are the "horrible stories" you have read? Of course at any airport these days, one needs to allow enough time getting through all the lines & not be rushed, but our experience departing last fall was a good one & quite quick (ironically, I could have called our arrival from Toronto a "horror story" as we had a 2 hour long lineup/wait for processing on arrival in Lisbon, which we weren't sure at the time was usual or not...& it usually isn't that bad apparently, but just our bad luck that day, which was a Monday). Overall, we thought Lisbon airport was quite alright, certainly better than some we have been through. However, people's experiences & opinions will vary!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
nyc
Level Contributor
324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

I've read that there are numerous lines, double passport checks and security clearance after the initial check in. This is for an overseas flight. Reports indicate disorganization, poor signal, etc. Read you need to get there 4hrs ahead.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

I find Lisbon easy to navigate, it is a large airport and in parts spread out but never had any problems. It is a major airport so there will be queues as in any major airport, (much better airport than Heathrow, I thnk). Any double passport control is largely due to US restrictions imposed , but again is normally fast and efficient, security is OK, . The screens are everywhere and many of them, you just need to watch for your gate and any last minute changes. Gates are often only loaded until about 45 minutes but it still gives you time to get to your gate. It is often recommended 3 hours before your departure time, surely it is better to have time than be rushng through a busy airport to find your gate?? there are plenty of coffee shops and restaurants as well as shops, to pass time, much more relaxing than too little time.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,276 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

US airlines and Portuguese airports all advise that you should be at the airport a minimum of three hours before departure, because of the stringent security checks required by US Homeland Security.

I know it is a horrible and ennervating waste of time (and money, paying for food and drink at inflated airport prices) but it is 'the price we pay for our security'. it would be the same no matter where you flew back from.

nyc
Level Contributor
324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

Thanks but if you look at reviews for porto and Lisbon you read very different experiences at both regarding security etc.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

nyc - as long as the reviews weren't referring to Terminal 2 at Lisbon airport. Yours would be Terminal 1, & 3 hr check-in should be adequate.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

nyc - as long as the reviews weren't referring to Terminal 2 at Lisbon airport. Yours would be Terminal 1, & 3 hr check-in should be adequate.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 02:05
Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

...sorry, I didn't press it twice & then tried to edit/delete when I saw the dupe, without success!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,276 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?

Terminal 2 at Lisbon is the low cost airlines cattle shed. The main Terminal 1 is much better by comparison but still unpleasant if any crowds build up.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Reply to: Is it worth $300 +to fly out of porto to avoid lisbon airpt?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted