We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near canyoning and whitewater rafting

VA
11 posts
Where to stay near canyoning and whitewater rafting

I am planning a trip to the Porto area. I would prefer to stay out of the city but be close to outdoor activities such as hiking, canyoning, and whitewater rafting. I won't have a car, so it needs to be accessible by public transportation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,433 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay near canyoning and whitewater rafting

I won't have a car, so it needs to be accessible by public transportation. This and be "close to outdoor activities such as hiking, canyoning, and whitewater rafting" doesn't match, sorry.

Hiking and rafting is possible at Arouca, but it's not an area to plan day trips to/from Porto, it's to stay there for the activities aroucageopark.pt/en/…

Braga, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay near canyoning and whitewater rafting

Arouca would be best for white water rafting, but in the Peneda-Gerês National Park you can find rafting in Melgaço and Canyoning is possible in a lot of rivers in Gerês and Amarela mountain ranges (and it's amazing). There are also more than 40 hiking trails in the national Park.

But public transportation in virtually inexistent to and from and between most of these places. There are a few buses from Braga: http://www.hoteisgeres.com/transports.html and transdev.pt/sites/default/files/horarios/afi…

You can stay at a camping site (they usually also offer bungalows and apartments) and try to find out which companies work nearby.

Or you can choose a company that guarantees pick-up at your acommodation in Braga or Gerês.

Reply to: Where to stay near canyoning and whitewater rafting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted