We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which car hire company to trust?

Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which car hire company to trust?

Hi all -

I'm currently getting quotes from car hire companies, none of which seem to be in the UK, so I'm reading about them online. The problem is, all of them have terrible reviews, which I guess is often the case with online reviews in general. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on who to steer clear from and who are the more 'legit' rental companies in the algarve area of Portugal (picking up and dropping off at Faro airport and will just take it around the Algarve and probably into Spain for a day trip). The companies that are coming up are typically:

Rhodium, Goldcar, Interrent, TurisPrime, Drive On Holidays, FireFly, Dollar, Autoclick, RentaStar and AirAuto.

Thanks so much!

Lo más reservado
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
953 Reviews
from USD 83.80*
Lo más reservado
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,158 Reviews
from USD 87.30*
Es probable que se agote
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
735 Reviews
from USD 87.30*
4 replies to this topic
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which car hire company to trust?

If you search the Algarve forum there are many posts either recommending the trusted companies or naming those to definitely avoid, like Goldcar and Turisprime.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Which car hire company to trust?

DO NOT USE AIRAUTO! SCAMMERS!

They are complete cowboys and scam tourists for old damage which has probably been charged for time and time again!

On inspection prior to hire the rep was happy to ignore certain scratches - if you’re using them take a video of the car and note ALL scratches down.

The scuff we were charged for ( and definitely did not do!), was under the front bumper. You had to get on your hands and knees and look under the car to see it.

The car next to us was also being scammed for a scratch they didn’t cause- funny how the reps know exactly where to look when you return!

See trip advisor for all the true reviews of this dishonest company!

Very sad end to a beautiful holiday.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which car hire company to trust?

I have used Auto Europe Canada for the last 3 trips needing a car (Chile, Wales, Portugal) and would not go anywhere else. They are great.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which car hire company to trust?

Definitely avoid Goldcar !!

Just look at their reviews .

Reply to: Which car hire company to trust?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted