We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll road payments

La Canada...
Level Contributor
136 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Toll road payments

We are driving throughout Portugal for a month in September 2018. We will be renting a car from Avis in Lisbon. Is it possible to pay tolls on the toll roads (i.e. A8) using a credit card (i.e. AMEX or VISA), or can we use a pre paid card? Or is it necessary or desirable to purchase a transponder with the rental from Avis?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Seller
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
994 Reviews
from USD 107.60*
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,198 Reviews
from USD 89.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
757 Reviews
from USD 89.70*
2 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,847 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll road payments

When you rent a car here ask for it to be fitted with a pre paid toll transponder, You can't pay tolls with AMEX that I do know. You can with Mastercard or Visa. It is not a good idea to use a non euro credit card for electronic tolls. Each ping is listed as a single transaction, so once you add on currency exchange charges and the exorbitant bank fees you could end up paying double. (Obtaining a pre paid Euro credit card may generally help in any event, saves carrying wads of cash around.)

On the electronic only toll roads eg A22 in the Algarve you can only pay via the transponder or you must find a payshop or post office, stand in line and pay there.

Suggest you read - portugaltolls.com/en/…faq-s

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll road payments

I plan to register for the EASYTOLL upon entering Portugal from Spain. Will this suffice to take care of ALL toll roads in Portugal ?

Reply to: Toll road payments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted