We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal and Spain in about 12 days! Help!

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portugal and Spain in about 12 days! Help!

My husband and I are planning a late honeymoon trip this August to Spain and Portugal. We are mostly interested in having a relaxing trip, some history, lots of great food and drink, and just taking in the cultures of each city. We both haven’t visited either country before, and this will be my husbands first time in Europe.

Most of the researching and booking is up to me. I am pretty sure we want to hit Lisbon, Porto, San Sebastián, and Barcelona. I would love any tips for hotels, neighborhoods, restaurants, excursions (maybe some type of boat outing), wineries, and of course best ways to get from one place to the next! San Sebastián is where I want to visit the most but seems the most complicated to fit in.

Should we fly from Porto to Madrid for a night and then fly direct to San Sebastián? Then train to Barcelona?

Or fly from Porto to Bilbao and find our way to San Sebastián?

Is this too much to fit in in 12 days? I don’t want to waste too much time and money getting from point A to B.

Is it necessary to avoid certain cities on sundays/Monday’s or will we get by ok?

We will be flying in and out of Atl which is a pretty big hub, but I think entering via Lisbon and leaving via Barcelona, or vise versa are our best options.

Open to suggestions if there’s a place we should skip or a city we should include!

Looking to arrive on morning of Aug 5th and depart Aug 17th.

Thanks,

Bree

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Bilbao
Bilbao
Province of Vizcaya, Spain
2 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal and Spain in about 12 days! Help!

Is this too much to fit in in 12 days? Yes, choose either Portugal or Spain and then you may have a chance of a relaxing trip, some history, lots of great food and drink, and just taking in the cultures...

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
482 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal and Spain in about 12 days! Help!

Honestly san sebastian is the least interesting of them all. It is beautiful yes but nothing you haven't seen before and not much to see. The best about san sebastian is really the food. With 12 days you can easily visit the other 3 (flying to barcelona from porto or lisbon).. i would skip san sebastian...

Reply to: Portugal and Spain in about 12 days! Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted