We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip report on the North of Portugal

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip report on the North of Portugal

Everyone is different about what they enjoy the most. After three days in Lisbon, we took the train north to Porto and stayed in Vila Nova de Gaia for three nights. Three nights/days was better than the two we had spent before on a previous trip but we still felt that we didn’t see everything that we wanted to. Looks like we need to return to Porto again.

We picked up our rental car in Porto and headed out to the Douro Valley for two nights. I have to admit the scenery was gorgeous and the drive from Peso da Regua to Pinhao was one with numerous stops. Our day trip to Lamego and the the Shrine of Our Lady of Remendies was one of high spot for us. Then again, it was raining much of time in the Douro Valley.

From the Douro Valley, we drove to Viana do Castelo. I had hoped to stop in Guimaraes but the rain was in a deluge kind of level and we decided to drive on to Viana do Castelo. Yes, we need to go back to Guimaraes that missing was a big issue for me as a lover of history. Our side trip to Geraz do Lima Carriage Museum was one of the high spots of the entire trip. Fabulous carriage museum and having the 96 year old wife of the creator of the museum with us every step of the viewing the collection with her grandson was over the top interesting for me.

I am SO glad that we decided to visit/spend three nights Viana do Castelo. We stayed at the Pousada and I had written them about getting a good room with a view. We had a totally awesome corner room with a view of the Santuario de Santa Luzia and the on the other side of Atlantic Ocean. Even our bathroom had a spectacular view! We loved the funicular to get down to the town and up. Yes, they have a senior discount.

We were able to experience the May 1st celebrations including a great drumming ceremony that included Portuguese bagpipes. Then there were a several groups in costume that did singing with traditional instruments playing. Just a perfect time spent. Both Hubby and I agree that we have to go back to Viana do Castelo since it is a city with the size we love, gorgeous architecture, great pastry shops, welcoming people and great walkability.

On one of the rainy days, we drove up the coast to coast to Caminha and we know we need to return to. I think our best drive was to National Park of Penda-Geres National Park and Lindoso and then back to Ponte de Lima. Definitely, we need to spend more time in this area and not be dodging rain drops.

I already have a long list of places to return to. So much more we need to explore in the Minho that we have only started to experience. Yes, another trip is definitely needed. Yes, I am already plotting my next trip. Hubby has found a jazz festival in Guimaraes in mid-November. Just might happen but not sure if it will be this year…

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto District, Portugal
The Douro Valley
The Douro Valley
305 Reviews
Pinhao, Portugal
Peso Da Regua
Peso Da Regua
Vila Real District, Portugal
Pinhao
Pinhao
Vila Real District, Portugal
Lamego
Lamego
Viseu District, Portugal
Guimaraes
Guimaraes
Braga District, Portugal
Santuario de Santa Luzia
Santuario de Santa Luzia
1,855 Reviews
Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Caminha
Caminha
Viana do Castelo District, Portugal
Geres National Park Tours
82 Reviews
Peneda-Geres National Park, Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
Viana do Castelo District, Portugal
Hotel Minho
Hotel Minho
906 Reviews
Vila Nova de Cerveira, Portugal
2 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
543 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip report on the North of Portugal

Hi Claudia,

Glad you enjoyed the north so much...except for too many raindrops!

We will also have to plan to visit further north than Porto...sometime!

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip report on the North of Portugal

Yes, @goole55, it was a great trip other than the rain. As you know, we love the Alentejo and the hill towns. We were very taken with Viana do Castelo and the day trips that we could take. I grew up by the Atlantic Ocean and really miss being by the ocean. I loved watching the stormy seas and I guess the only missing piece was hearing the sea from our hotel room.

We definitely have plans for the future to visit this area again. I doubt that we would return to Douro. Just us. We very much more enjoyed the Penda-Geres National Park that needs more exploring on our behalf. We also need the explore the coast above Viana do Castelo that was really only a drive by in the pouring rain. So much more in the Minho that we haven't experienced. I love to have plans for future visits when we can explore more. I guess that is one of the reasons we love Portugal so much. Always a new place to visit that we just might like more than those we have enjoyed before.

Mentioned in this post
Alentejo
Alentejo
Portugal
Guest House Douro
Guest House Douro
754 Reviews
Porto, Portugal
82 Reviews
Peneda-Geres National Park, Portugal