We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odeciexe to Evora

Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Odeciexe to Evora

Looking for suggestions. My husband and I will be driving (rental car)from Odeciexe to Evora and we were wondering if there is anywhere interesting to stop along the way? Perhaps someplace unique or scenic for lunch?

We will stay in Evora for a few days then continue to Obidos, same question anywhere interesting to stop. Small beautiful hilltop villages? Castles?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,152 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Odeciexe to Evora

From Odeceixe to Évora if you have the all day I would detour to Beja (nice town with an high castle tower). Castles exist on every small town nearer to the border, from Beja to Évora you have Viana do Alentejo, Alvito or Portel depending on which road you'll take.

Around Évora, go to the obvious, Monsaraz and Evoramonte, but you also have Alandroal, Jerumenha, Vila Viçosa.

From Évora to Óbidos you have the Unesco heritage towns of Tomar, Batalha and Alcobaça.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 20:38
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Odeciexe to Evora

Thank you I will look into those stops. Very helpful.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: Odeciexe to Evora

When are you going? We had a great time on our third trip to Alentejo in November. @ptno64 is very right that there are castles every where. You might think about getting the excellent Bradt book on the Alentejo. We found it very useful as @ptnov64 suggestions. We very much enjoyed our two days in Beja with day trips to Serpa and Mertola. We drove from Beja to Estremoz (one of the three famous marble towns of Portugal that include Borba, Vila Vicosa, and Estremoz) via Monsaraz that is spectacular hill town now near the shores of the largest man made lake in Europe being Lake Alqueva.

We have stayed in Evora (two nights on a April trip) and Vila Vicosa (two nights on a November trip) before. Vila Vicosa is the home of the Ducal Palace of the House of Braganza who became the kings of Portugal. From Estremoz (about 40 minutes from Evora), we visit Marvao and Elvas on separate day trips.

We visited Obidos several year ago and it was very crowded. Two hours was about all we could take with the bus loads of people that make it shoulder to shoulder. On the same July trip we adored Tomar that we spent an evening in. Convento de Cristo is very special place with some of the best Manueline architecture in all of Portugal. I still want to go back again. Take a look at http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/pt

On our November trip, we visited Monastery of Alcobaca and Monastery of Batalha and spent an evening in Batalha before visiting the marvelous Centro de Interpretacao de Batalha de Aljubarrota. What a great video of the battle and the center gives you great insight into what was going on Europe in the same time frame. Well worth the stop.

I am afraid Portugal is one of those places that you will want to visit and then visit again. It was trip number six for us in November and I am plotting trip number seven for April/May.

Keep asking questions. I am sure other will have their favorite places....

Reply to: Odeciexe to Evora
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted