We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

Hello, I am traveling to Bruge via Brussels Midi. I just wanted to know whether I would have a chance of catching the 18.26 to Bruge if my Eurostar gets in a 18.06. I am not sure how far away the Bruge train will be.

Unfortunately the Eurostar Website was not clear when I booked that if I chose "any belgium station" I could travel onwards using my Eurostar ticket so I have to buy another ticket to Bruge and hoped to book my ticket on the 18.26. If I miss this train can I use my ticket on another. Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

If you already had a ticket, you would be fine, although it can take nearly 10 minutes to get from the Eurostar down into the main concourse. If you don't, and have to queue up to buy a ticket, you don't have a chance. Also, you will be hitting the station at peak commuter time so unless everyone has gone on their summer holidays, the ticket office will be at its busiest.

However, whatever ticket you buy (someone recently managed to get ABS add-on in these circumstances, but the maximum you will pay in Jul/Aug is €7.50 "summer ticket"), you will not have "booked" any particular train, the ticket will be valid on any train from Brussels to Brugge on the date in question. The fastest, IC trains, headed for Oostende or Knokke/ Blankenberge, run twice an hour but you can also take the slower double-decker commuter trains.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 01:48
Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

Thanks for that, so do you think I should just arrive and buy a ticket at Brussels. I have looked on line and seen prices at £34.00 return which I think is a little expensive. Will it be cheaper to buy at the station and also, will the ticket be flexible, just in case I miss one!

Thanks.

Wales
Level Contributor
43 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

Hi Gaminan

We are travelling from Brussels to Brugge on a Sunday. Are the trains still every half an hour or do they change to an hourly service please?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

To: Brugge [B]

Taking next Sunday 8th July as an example: basically 2 trains an hour - and about 4 an hour before 11.00.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

@gaynor74, where are you finding a price of £34 return? Belgian Railways is hardly going to give you prices in £, and I don't know why you would seek a price from anyone except the train operator concerned! In any case, I already told you the price for Brussels to Brugge: assuming travel on a weekday in July or August, it's €7.50 each way, i.e. €15 return. If by any chance it is a Sat or Sun (and you would not be returning to Brussels the same weekend), it would be €13.50 each way, i.e. €27 return. If you want to know how much that is in your currency, I suggest you use www.xe.com for conversion.

The price depends on day/date of travel and not on whether or not you purchase the ticket in advance, or buy it online or at the station. The price of domestic Belgian train tickets does not vary in the same way as do those for INTERNATIONAL high-speed trains like Eurostar and Thalys.

As for "will the ticket be flexible, just in case I miss one!" - again, I already informed that "you will not have "booked" any particular train, the ticket will be valid on any train from Brussels to Brugge on the date in question." I don't know how to make this any clearer. Your ticket covers any train from Brussels to Brugge, fast or slow, departing on the date shown on your ticket, which if buying at the station will be the date of purchase (unless of course you were staying over in Brussels, when you would give them a different date for the onward journey). And the same applies if you purchase tickets in advance (from www.b-rail.be), when you will of course indicate the date of travel - for both legs, if also buying for return journey.

Wales
Level Contributor
43 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

Dank U Colin56

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

< Dank U Colin56 >

Graag gedaan ... but I am British

London
4 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

I work for Eurostar and go to Bruges regularly via bruxelles midi.

Buy the ticket to any belgian destination and it is only an extra £11 return.

With this ticket, you can go anywhere in Belgium.

At Bruxelles Midi also called Bruxelle zuid, you will need to change platform only but this will take you around 10-15 minutes provided you know where you are going.

Also, we always ask that you leave an hour in between train just in case there is delay and single line working in the tunnel.

With the any belgian station, you are not stuck with a specific train. Takes around 55 minsbto get to Bruges.

9. Re: Brussels to Bruges - platform distances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:20