We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Bruges?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Bruges?

My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Belgium next June and I am trying to narrow down which area would be the best to stay.

We would like to spend a day or so in Brussels to see the city but we are thinking from what we've seen and read that Bruges would be more our speed. Is there a certain area in Bruges that is ideal to all attractions or is any area in the town pretty accessible to everything on foot?

As for us, we are early 30's, foodies, enjoy the smaller family run boutique type hotels and enjoy walking around for our nightlife experience versus night clubs. Hope that may help in pinpointing what we may be looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

-David

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

Basically anywhere within the city center ring is fine. Everything is accessible by foot from there.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

Just been to Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges... and I would recommend staying in Ghent. It's 30min to Bruges/Brussels and 1hr to Antwerp on the train.

Bruges is nice but with every third shop being souvenirs, chocolate or lace, I found it hard to truly enjoy. Even the surroundings were underwhelming after Ghent, which has retained more of it's huge medieval cathedrals alongside the old squares and canals.

Just my 2c.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

Is this part of your european tour? (I have just replied to your request for prague!!)

The main areas to stay are in the inner ring. It depends on your budget etc. We have stayed in brugge in high summer in both chain and independant hotels and found both types excellent. The centre of bruges is the markt so start your search from here (and check out hotel review section)

If you are doing so many european cities, then I expect you will arrive by train. If so then there is a very good check bus between the train station and the markt via the zand. (there are many hotels on the zand as well).

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

The European tour is correct. This is one of 5 cities we are looking to visit over the month of June. Thanks for the tips on transportation. We are definitely taking the train.

I had debated coming to Bruges on a daytrip and staying in Brussels but after Paris, I'm not sure if we will need another big city. I had not thought about other less touristy areas of Belgium as the above post mentioned. I appreciate all the great feedback. It is giving me many options to consider that I had not thought of before.

Thanks again to all.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

As you mention you are a foodie I would select Bruges over Brussels.

My personal (but limited) experiences of dining in Brussels were mediocre at best (although i'd love to be corrected and be told of any superb restaurants that I could try there). My experiences in Bruges (where i've been many more times than Brussels, granted) are much better. Bruges has everything from Pizza Hut to a 3 Michelin starred restaurant.

Also if you like just wandering around I personally feel more comfortable doing just that in Bruges than I did in Brussels. Don't get me wrong i've never felt unsafe in either but Bruges is really wonderful of an evening especially when all the day trip tourists have departed. Whereas for me Brussels just has a busy city feel (which of course it is I guess!)

Cheers

Rob

Regards,

Rob

Edited: 17 September 2010, 16:30
6. Re: Best area to stay in Bruges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 16:36
Get answers to your questions about Bruges
Recent Conversations