We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

Hello!

We are visiting Belgium in September with my girlfriend. We are doing a daytrip on Saturday to Bruges+Oostende. I have a few questions about the train tickets:

1. My gf is under 26, so she is qualified for the Go Pass 1 ticket. She needs any document for this type of ticket? Can we buy this ticket at the Midi train station (machines/ticket offices) or only online?

2. For me, being above 26, the cheapest ticket would be the weekend ticket, right?

3. If our route is: Brussels - Oostende - Bruges - Brussels, can we buy two return tickets for Brussels - Bruges and another two for Bruges - Oostende?

4. If we buy the above mentioned tickets and we go with a direct train to Oostende, can we stay in the train for the Bruges - Oostende part too and just switch the tickets at the control?

According to their website the price for the whole trip costs 21.20/18.20 euros (15.8 + 5.4 for me/12.8 + 5.4 for my gf). Is this the cheapest option?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Have a nice day!

4 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

Your girl friend uses her passport or Italian ID card to prove her age - she probably won't be asked for it at the ticket office but she probably will when controlled on the train, but then you have to carry your ID card or passport at all times in Belgium anyway.

You just buy Brussel-Oostende tickets (Go Pass 1 and Weekend) which are now valid for a break of journey en route provided that all the travel in one direction is on the same day - this didn't used to be the case so you may find old posts saying you need extra tickets, you don't now.

I will leave you to do the arithmetics.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
444 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

You should just stay in Bruges for the day. It has much more to see than Oostende...

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

@becasse: Just to clarify: if we buy two return tickets for Brussels - Oostende, we can get down in Bruges and we can continue the route later with the same ticket?

@Tony053: Yes, I know. One of my favorite movies is "In Bruges", but my gf wants to see the promenade and the sea, so we alocated 1 hour for Oostende.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train

Yes you can buy your two Brussel-Oostende tickets (of different types because of your ages) and visit Brugge en route in either direction with those tickets. The only restriction is that the through journey in each direction has to be completed on the same day and this isn't a problem as you only intend to make a day trip.

Reply to: Brussels - Bruges - Oostende train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted