We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Bruges on train?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Bruges on train?

We are travelling to Netherlands in July and after a week at De Eemhof centre parcs with our UK based family, we plan a two-night weekend (Fri-Sun), in Bruges. We last visited in 1984 on our OE. I am having trouble finding how to get there in the quickest time and I know I maybe too early for booking but would like to know how long this will take etc. Is flying an option to Brussels and then train????

Hoping someone can help...

2 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges on train?

You could have told us where De Eemhof is and what is the closest station to Zeewolde (https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Zeewolde), to save anyone else having to research this for a different country!

No idea what an OE is but in my opinion it would be ridiculous to get to Amsterdam Schiphol (which is on the railway line between Amsterdam and Antwerp/Brussels) to fly to Brussels Airport, and take a train from there (1h30) to Brugge. Once you get yourself to Amsterdam you have a choice between Thalys to Antwerp or Brussels and then normal train from there to Brugge. Just entering Amsterdam-Centraal as departure point and Brugge as destination into www.b-europe.com/Travel will show you all options. If your date of travel is months ahead, just use a current date corresponding to the same day of the week (or for prices of routes involving Thalys, a date 3 months ahead which will show you the price you can expect to pay booking that sort of period in advance; IC fares don't vary depending on when you book, in fact they aren't "bookable").

But basically from Amsterdam, taking Thalys to Antwerp and then IC to Brugge, it takes 2h45; via Brussels, 3h12; and taking all NON-high-speed trains (which can only be via Antwerp), 3h40.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Bruges on train?

Thanks heaps for your help - FYI OE = Overseas Experience (something most New Zealanders do in their 20s). Really appreciate your help - I thought flying was a waste of time and money and you have confirmed my thoughts.

Reply to: Amsterdam to Bruges on train?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted