We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Wollongbar...
3 posts
Save Topic
car hire

It seems very hard to get rent a car in Bruges where you can leave at any convienient place like a railway.. So annoying. One minute they say car hire at back of railway and next there is not. There must be some where handy to city to get a hire car that you can drop off at Menen or Lille.Fr.

If we get to Poperidge or Ypres by train we are stuck with our luggage, we want to get out to several places and car seems only option.

5 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

I can't think of any Brugge car-hire companies with offices at or near the station: I imagine that they could not afford to be located there or in the historic centre of the city. There has been a lot of construction work around the station which has led to changes in bus etc. drop-off points, and I don't think it would be possible to leave a car behind the station owing to parking restrictions. I would have expected them to be able to leave a car at the Bargeplein parking, but this is not right next to the station and if coming with luggage you would want to get there by taxi. However, this company does claim (maybe based on the situation before all the construction work started) to provide cars at Brugge station: autoeurope.com/go/car-rental-bruges-railway-…

Otherwise, I think the closest would be Avis in Sint. Michiels (https:/…brugge-sint-michiels) but Europcar (IKC) also isn't too far out at Sint Pieterskaai (https://www.europcar.be/en).

If you hire in Belgium and drop off in Lille (France), you will pay a very high premium for one-way drop off in a different country. However, all the major car-hire companies have offices near Lille-Flandres or Lille-Europe station so apart from the cost, I really don't see any issue with respect to there being a convenient drop-off point in that city.

Menen is a different matter as it's only a small town, at which none of the big names are represented, so there would be nowhere you could leave the car there. In any case, if you were thinking of going sightseeing while leaving luggage in the car, I'm not sure that would be a great idea. If the idea is to drive around the Ieper area but not return to either Ieper or Brugge before continuing to Lille, the best place to leave a car would probably be Kortrijk, which has offices of Avis, Hertz and Europcar and should therefore accept drop-offs from those companies.

Kortrijk is the largest town close to the French border (next to Mouscron, which is the last Belgian station and town, just across the border from Tourcoing) and is 37 mins from Lille-Flandres station on direct IC trains.

However, you might like to note that Ieper station has luggage lockers (belgianrail.be/en/…ieper.aspx) even if Poperinge does not (belgianrail.be/en/…poperinge.aspx) - and neither, if this is relevant, does Menen (belgianrail.be/en/…menen.aspx). You could therefore go by train from Brugge to Ieper, leave luggage there while visiting the area, and continue from Ieper by train to Lille (1h32 changing in Kortrijk).

Visiting the area could either be done by train to Poperinge (7 mins from Ieper, twice hourly) and Menen (18 mins, hourly - on the way to Kortrijk), or maybe taxi, or using a car hired from one of these local operators goudengids.be/verhuring-auto-s-zonder-chauff… - none of the majors being represented there. Again, it is only a small town and car hire is not as widely used in Belgium as it may be in your country, because the country is small and has a dense railway network - and obviously, public transport is designed for locals, not tourists.

Wollongbar...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

Thank you for your help qaminari, Yes I think I will get car at Avis, i have booked a hotel in Menin,best western .it could be Kortrijk . I will have to leave car at Kortrijk some where and get back to nearest station to get to Lille .I change trains there I think to get to Paris. I just wanted the car for the day to look at a grave and hill sixty and be in Menen for the service at night.

You have been a great help

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

I'm not entirely sure what you have understood here:

- "hotel in Menin best western it could be Kortrijk" - the Best Western Ambassador is in Menen, "650 metres from the central train station (in Menen) and a 15-minute drive away from Kortrijk".

- "leave car at Kortrijk some where and get back to nearest station to get to Lille": as already indicated, you can get to Lille from Kortrijk station, so if you would be leaving the car in Kortrijk, the nearest station is - Kortrijk.

- "be in Menen for the service at night": what service in MENEN at night? If by any chance you are talking about the "Last Post", this is held at 20:00 hrs each evening at the Menin Gate in IEPER (http://www.lastpost.be/en/home). The town of Menen is 24 km away from Ieper; the Menen (in Dutch: Menin in English) Gate is IN Ieper.

Wollongbar...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

Thanks , I understand. Leave car Kortrik and go to railway to get the train. Yes it is the last post service i wanted to see...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

... which takes place in Ieper, not Menen. The Menin Gate is the beginning of the road to Menen from Ieper.

Reply to: car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted