We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleroi to Brugge (Friday night late arrival)

1 post
Save Topic
Charleroi to Brugge (Friday night late arrival)

I appreciate similar questions have been asked before but I'm still confused as to the best option.

We (2 adults) arrive into Charleroi Airport at 22:00 on Friday 3rd February with hand baggage only.

What are the quickest and/or cheapest options for getting to Brugge that evening?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

1 reply
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,534 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleroi to Brugge (Friday night late arrival)

If you really have read previous replies I can't understand your confusion. There is in any case only one direct shuttle from CRL to Brugge, which is the Flibco shuttle, and for a 22:00 arrival (landing), you could only catch the 23:50 hrs departure (arr. 02:00 hrs) as you obviously aren't going to make the one that departs at 22:00 hrs (see https://www.flibco.com/en/schedules).

Cost for that departure on Fri 3 Feb (if you had booked earlier you could have got the prices, still shown for surrounding departures, of €10 or even €5), one-way, is €17 booking online, €21 buying tickets on the spot (if this is even possible: you can't pay the driver unless you have a BELGIAN bank card, the Flibco kiosk may be closed at that time of night, and I think they may only have ticket machines for the BRUSSELS City Shuttle).

The last train from Charleroi-Sud station that would get you to Brussels in time for a connection to Brugge on the same night is at 22:24, arr. 01:35 (after 1h11 wait at Bruxelles-Midi for the 00:29 train to Brugge), and even taking a taxi from CRL to the station, you are obviously not going to make that.

That leaves one other option (apart from taxi/private transfer, costing maybe €200), which is the Brussels City Shuttle to Brussels, aiming to catch the last train from there at 00:29, arr. 01:35 (the previous one is at 23:24, arr. 00:29, but I don't see any chance of catching that). You would therefore have to catch the 22:30 BCS departure (arr. 23:25, too late to catch the 23:24 train) or 23:00 departure arr. 23:55, to be able to catch the 00:29 train (the next shuttle would arrive at 00:25 which doesn't give you time to reach the platform from where the bus stops in rue de France).

For a departure in 2 weeks' time, the BCS costs €14 per person one way buying online (which you should do), and the ticket is valid for any departure that day/night, and the train €14.30, which you could (but given the amount of time you are likely to have at Gare du Midi, don't have to) buy online, from www.belgianrail.be .Train tickets are not restricted to a specific departure, but are valid on any train (in this case, Bruxelles-Midi to Brugge) until end of service on the date in question, which includes the 00:29 departure.

Note that IF by any chance you would be returning to CRL by Sunday at the latest, you can buy a weekend return train ticket for €15.20 (instead of €28.60, i.e. 2 x the single fare) covering the train from Brussels to Brugge on the Friday evening/Saturday morning and return from Brugge to Brussels on, at the latest, Sunday evening.

So your only choice other than private transfer is between waiting an hour or so for the 23:50 Flibco shuttle, paying €17 per person (one way, booking online) and arriving at 02:00 hrs (at Brugge station), or taking an earlier Brussels City Shuttle but then probably waiting around at Bruxelles-Midi station to catch the 00:29 train, paying €14+€14.30 = €28.30 each, one way and arriving at 01:35 (also at Brugge station).

Reply to: Charleroi to Brugge (Friday night late arrival)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted