We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges in April - worth it?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Bruges in April - worth it?

Hi there

I've been looking at the climate data for Bruges in April and it doesn't look great. Sounds like drizly cloudy weather is the norm and day maximums of 12 degrees on average (doesn't sound like Spring to me!). Unfortunately April is the only time we can go this year, so what do you think - go or wait until next time?

Thanks

Best Seller
Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from...
1,959 reviews
from USD 57.30*
Bruges Day Trip from Amsterdam
943 reviews
from USD 118.40*
Special Offer
Bruges Day Tour from Paris
617 reviews
from USD 185.10*
USD 205.60
Brussels Super Saver: Brussels...
102 reviews
from USD 133.40*
Quorn, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

I'm not sure what your plans are when you get to Bruges - let's say the weather is unpredictable at best. The attached article confirms the average temperature to be 11 degrees for April but the article also points out that the best time to visit is April.

https:/…Weather.And.When.To.Go.html

I usually visit in May and I've encountered both warm and cool temperatures, but have seen similar fluctuations in November

I'd certainly recommend a visit - particularly for the architecture.

P.S I'm guessing you might be a keen photographer judging by your username?

Edited: 11 January 2017, 19:06
London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
871 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

Have a look at wherever you got your drizzly cloudy weather / temperature information from for your own city / somewhere you know well. Does that match what you are used to?

That may be the "average" position but that's the problem with averages, they tend towards the uninspiring.

I have had many many trips to Bruges and I don't think the weather has ever made any of them not worth it. We have been in December with snow, frozen canals and bright sunshine - beautiful, other times with grey skies, constant rain and miserable temperatures - so those trips involved more huddling by a fire in a cosy bar. April has involved the sorts of weather you describe but also beautiful sunshine and warm, dry days. I can recall one Easter when I had to go and buy my nephew some new shorts as he was complaining his trousers were too hot - he would have been about 7 so I will let him off complaining.

The weather is too unpredictable to ever really use that as a factor in deciding when to go anywhere in Northern Europe.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

"Sounds like drizly cloudy weather is the norm and day maximums of 12 degrees on average (doesn't sound like Spring to me!)."

Sorry but if that dismays you I think you had better give not only Belgium but the whole of NW Europe a miss. It can rain at any time of year, and is usually cloudy. 12°C is obviously an average: IF the sun makes an appearance, it would normally be warmer than that in the afternoon even if the temperature drops again at night. But of course it could also be colder, we just don't know.

Daffodils and narcissi like that sort of weather/temperature, so if you want to see the béguinage with all the flowers out (as in the photo on here http://fiftizpourtoujours.soforums.com/t1911-ABBAYES-BELGES.htm?start=15), that's when you would need to be there.

If, on the other hand, you want to go somewhere warm in April in Europe (more-or-less), try the Canary Islands or Madeira! There will be no point in waiting for a different year to visit Belgium if this would still be in April, because it will never be any more likely to be warm then. Even with global warming, that just increases the extremes of temperatures and the variability, it doesn't make it any more likely that you will get a warm April. And if it did, the daffodils would either bloom earlier or disappear altogether.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, photography is an interest, but it's really a family holiday. We will be visiting friends in Luxembourg and perhaps Amsterdam and are looking for a few other places to visit nearby. Would like to explore the town, eat some mussels and just wander around soaking up the history. We usually travel to Europe in Summer, so just not sure what to expect in April. In Melbourne in the deepest winter in July, the average daytime max is 14 degrees and I think that's pretty cold if grey/drizzle conditions, however I take you point that if sunny it would be great!

Looking at April 2016 weather history, I can see that it got to 19 degrees one day on 3 April 2016, but most days were 9-13 degrees.

I guess I'm trying to decide if its better to visit the friends and continue by car/train to surrounding places in France/Belgium/Germany or see the friends and then jump on a plane to some Med destinations like Sicily, Crete or even south of France?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

If you think you're going to feel cold and that will spoil your holiday then head to somewhere warmer. If you're happy to take a chance on getting some better weather than the average, then Bruges will be a fine destination. It's very pretty, and it's not really a place for beaches and basking in the sun anyway.

I personally would go to Belgium, but I'm not you and as I come form the UK, I'm used to it being damp, chilly and miserable! At the moment, with snow forecast here imminently, April weather in Bruges seems positively balmy!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,820 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

I was in Belgium and The Netherlands for 5 days last June. Temp was 17-20C but it rained everyday I was there; and I mean heavy rain!

It didn't spoil my trip though - it just meant I had to shelter from the rain in bars and drink more nice Belgian beer than I was planning to! ;-)

If you go to Belgium in April it will be cooler but you might not get any rain. Weather there is similar to the UK and it has actually snowed here in April!

Edited: 13 January 2017, 03:40
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
569 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

Bruges is one of the world's beautiful places, in my experience, so I would jump at the chance to go there, and April will be beautiful though perhaps in a cool, rainy way (May is also beautiful.) I happen to love Flemish art and medieval history.

8. Re: Bruges in April - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2018, 16:17