We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

Vicitoria BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

We will be staying in Landskouter and wondering if there are country buses to Ghent. Otherwise what is the cheapest train travel to Ghent since we plan to go several times.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

Colin56, you are clearly assuming that what it says on the b-rail website corresponds to reality, but I can assure you that at Mérode railway station, which has no ticket office or machine, there is a very prominent sign telling people who do not already have a ticket, to buy their ticket on the train, WITH APPLICATION of the €3 administrative fee! If I had the energy, I would complain to the railway ombudsman, but I fear I can't be bothered.

Presumably they now consider that with homeprinting nobody has any excuse for not buying their ticket in advance, but not everyone has a computer/printer, and as far as I know, SNCB/NMBS don't (yet) offer the option of paying by GSM as you can with De Lijn - at least for the Coast Tram.

Rita P, driving for well over an hour in Canada is not necessarily like driving for the same amount of time in Belgium - when you are likely to end up in another country, and/or cross a language boundary. You really cannot compare things in terms of equivalent distance/time because (even in Belgium) it is far easier to drive for 1 hr on a motorway than to spend the same amount of time changing from train to tram to bus, etc. And it is all very well being only a 15 min journey from a city, but when the train comes only once an hour, you may find that more limiting than you think (check the times of last trains back, to avoid expensive taxi fares).

Edited: 03 July 2012, 01:13
Belgium
Level Contributor
784 posts
14 reviews
12. Re: Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

Just pointing out that the two of you (I suppose you are two) can use 1 single Key Card: you do not need one card for each of you. Just make sure to fill out one additional line for each additional passenger.

b-rail.be/nat/…index.php

Did you have a look at Google Street View? You can see exactly what the train stop looks like.

Landskouter is a very nice area, excellent for walks and bicycle trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
2 reviews
13. Re: Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

Do check the timetables, as I don't think there are any trains at weekends, and the only bus I can find that runs on Saturdays and Sundays is the Belbus, which has to be booked in advance.

…delijn.be/dienstregelingen/Kalender2011/Ovl…

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
14. Re: Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

< Colin56, you are clearly assuming that what it says on the b-rail website corresponds to reality >

Oh dear. Yes I am - I am a very trusting person ...

< Presumably they now consider that with homeprinting nobody has any excuse for not buying their ticket in advance >

Personally, I do buy homeprinted tickets online in advance - or use my 10-trip Rail Pass where appropriate - so I wasn't aware of the problem you mention. Also, my train journeys normally start from Central or Midi. The nearest (former) station to my home is now the restaurant Le Vignoble de Margot ...

15. Re: Sensible Seniors Ghent travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 07:47
Get answers to your questions about Ghent