We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night visit to Brussels - trip advice needed

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
454 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
3 night visit to Brussels - trip advice needed

Hi Everyone,

A friend and I will be visiting Brussels for 3 nights at the end of July. We're not really into museums etc but like to sight-see, people watch and wander. We're like to eat and drink and always happy to fill some time with shopping.

I've been a few times but it will be my friends first visit, so first question; would you recommend staying in Brussels for the full 3 days or try and get a day trip in to somewhere else. If so, where? Antwerp? Bruges?

Secondly, if we stay in Brussels for the 3 nights, where would be the best place for us to stay? I've been looking around the grand place area simply because I know it and would like the convenience of being near bars and restaurants and I know there's plenty in that area. I have shortlisted a few hotels which are between £50-70 per night. Is there another area you would recommend looking at? We wouldn't mind a 20 minute walk or so it if would save a decent amount of money.

Lastly, what are the gay friendly bars like over there? I remember seeing the rainbow flags near the grand place, somewhere around the mannekin pis? But I did not have time to check them out. If anyone knows how the prices compare to other bars and the best nights to go (we'll be there Friday to Monday) I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night visit to Brussels - trip advice needed

1. With limited time I would stay in Brussels, you can always do a day trip to e.g. Brugge from there (1 hr by train), especially if staying somewhere convenient to Gare centrale, although you can travel to Brugge from any of the 3 main stations.

2. See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188644-i205-k5563…

3. What is any bar LIKE?! You can google for more expert opinion on gay nightlife/individual bars in Brussels (I had no idea there might be any systematic difference in prices as between gay and other bars..), but the gay area of Brussels is the quartier St. Jacques, either side of rue du Midi, e.g. rue du Marché au Charbon. From the Mannekin Pis you would walk down rue des Grands Carmes. See

www.belgiumtheplaceto.be/gay_guide.php

www.gaybars.eu/bel/Brussel.ph

www.patroc.com/brussels

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
454 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night visit to Brussels - trip advice needed

Thanks!

I've booked up into the Alma hotel now as it had decent reviews, a good price and is very central.

I could tell you a lot about the different types of bars in Newcastle, but maybe that says more about me! :-)

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have a great time, I've always loved my visits to Brussels.

3. Re: 3 night visit to Brussels - trip advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 19:16