We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liege to Tongeren

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
86 reviews
Liege to Tongeren

I know they are only 11 miles apart, but how do I get from Liege to Tongeren for the Gallo-Roman museum (my wife is a Latin teacher) by train or bus? Is it on the Maastricht line, or do trams or busses run out of LIege? Also, would you stay in Liege or Tongeren itself if you were considering one night in the area before going on to Brussels or Bruges.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,153 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Liege to Tongeren

The museum is 10 mins walk from the railway station, see galloromeinsmuseum.be/practical_information/…

Trains headed for Antwerp, leaving Liège-Guillemins at 18 mins past each hour on weekdays (also stopping at Liège-Jonfosse and -Palais) take 35 mins to Tongeren: cost €4.40 single, €8.80 return. No it isn't on the Maastricht line, Maastricht is NE of Liège while Tongeren is NW.

From the logistical point of view, it would be easier and faster to get to Brussels (1 hr) or Brugge (2h02 by direct trains to Oostende, leaving on the hour - also calling at Leuven and 3 stations in Brussels) from LIEGE than from Tongeren (2 hrs and 3 hrs, respectively). However, if you are doing this trip on a weekday in July or August, this will make no difference to the price as there is a flat-rate "summer ticket" which costs €7.50 to anywhere in Belgium.

But if you wanted to visit the Sunday morning antiques market in Tongeren, you might want to stay there on a Saturday night.

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Liege to Tongeren

Thank you. I assumed that we would be going to Brussels from Liege, which I had not made clear in my original posting. This trip will start in Frankfurt, from which we will go to Bacharach and then by train and boat down the Rhine and up the Mosel, stopping for a couple of nights each in Cochem and Trier. At that point, we could head back to the US from Luxembourg if we want a short trip or continue into Belgium, which we had considered visiting this year before deciding to stay in the US instead. Obviously, we will make that decision before we leave New Hampshire. My wife likes to keep trips short; my feeling is that as long as we're crossing the ocean, we should hang hang around for a while.

3. Re: Liege to Tongeren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 06:46