We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle vs. train/tram

Northwest...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
shuttle vs. train/tram

I've been doing all my research for our spring trip to Amsterdam, can't wait!

O.k. I've checked out the prices for all the different types of transportation from airport to hotels. I know it's cheapest to do the train then tram, but isn't it a hassel to be dragging your luggage around? Some people may have only one bag .. but we're staying a full week. No matter how we try to cut it down we're going to have more. I'd be worried about the bags getting in the way. Where do you put them? What about a taxi to the hotel? Are they reasonable? I haven't picked our hotel yet,,, I have it narrowed down though.

It just seems that the "simplest" thing is the shuttle , even if it costs a little more.

Thanks for your help!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

Personally, I hate having to drag luggage around so I usually take a taxi from an airport. Amsterdam Centre is not very near the airport so taxis can be quite expensive. You could also check out the Schiphol Taxi Service; fixed prices so no surprises there! :-)

Info on that one can be found through: http://www.schiphol.nl, select your language (upper right), click on Airport Information, From & To Schiphol, Taxi and then Schiphol Travel Taxi (at the right).

Bilthoven, The...
Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

Why not try both!? When you arrive and your bags are relatively empty, take the train. And on the way back take a taxi.

The train is not so bad. OK, you maybe have to drag your bags for around 200 meters (From the luggage belt to the train and from the central station in amsterdam to the taxi stand), but you see a bit more and maybe get to speak to some locals.

I must say though that I find the taxi drivers at the central station a bit intimidating and dodgy. Also Dutch taxi's are among the most expensive in the world. And every taxi company has a different rate. To give an example, i live 1 kilometer from the central station. A taxi trip costs me between 5 to 7,5 euros.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

That's exactly why I suggested the Schiphol Travel Taxi... :-) Fixed prices so no possibility of being ripped off as said above!

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

I don't think anyone has commented on the tram portion of your question.

Trams are quite narrow (inside and the steps into them. Schlepping serious luggage on crowded trams is not my idea of fun. Doable, but not fun. You kinda stand there with the luggage between your legs.

The train, however, is easy.

The airport shuttle is easy, too. If you are the last stop, however, it can take awhile.

I've used the shuttle, train/tram, train/taxi, taxi, and pre-arranged taxi. My usual method now-a-days is a taxi (usually arranged through the link given above) if I am flying in from thee U.S. After what seems like 47 hours of being locked in a low oxygen box, I am willing to absorb the extra cost. If flying in from some place closer and when going TO the airport, I usually take the train or shuttle depending on what part of the city I am in -- and whther I'm near the beginning or end of the shuttle route.

Paul

Englewood, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

I think it also depends on where you are staying. If you are close to centraal station, then the train would be the cheapest and easiest. Once at Centraal Station, you could walk. I wouldn't advise walking if you are going to be far from centraal station. However, on my last trip I did walk with baby in tow from centraal station to almost the museum district. This walk took less than 30 minutes but could prove difficult if you have a lot of luggage. I did, but for the cost savings, I would do it again.

Also as others previously mentioned, there isn't going to be must luck of getting on a tram with a lot of luggage. The trams can get quite full and there really isn't a lot of space to cart luggage around.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

The shuttle bus from the airport is not very expensive and will drop you off outside or at least near your hotel if staying centrally.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

Shuttle bus from the airport: www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

I suggest, for your own benefit and enjoyment, to cut the amount of clothes you are planning to bring by 2. A happy traveller travels light. It's much nicer to COME BACK loaded than COME IN loaded and buy more, and need to buy another suitcase while travelling ...

8. Re: shuttle vs. train/tram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 04:19