We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
228 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

So I have "narrowed it down" to 5 hotels (!) for my 4 day stay in August with husband and two kids (18,21). Three are in the Jordaan area, I think: Toren, Estherea, Ambassade. Two are in a different location: the Banks Mansion and the de l'Europe Amsterdam. They all get great reviews on TA.

My questions are:

1) are these both safe neighborhoods to stay in ? Seems like the Jordaan/canal area is quieter and perhaps safer at night? I don't want to be near the Central Station.

2) I like the idea of being near the Nine Streets shopping area. But will my kids find that region too sedate? Is it more lively near the Banks Mansion?

3) Finally, if drinking is not a priority, is the Banks Mansion still a great place to stay?

I haven't been to Amsterdam in over 25 years, so I just can't remember anything about the layout - sorry for the poor geography.

Thank you all!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

Out of your list I've only stayed at The Estherea which I thoroughly enjoyed.

1) The city center is relatively safe minus petty crime like pickpockets. Yes the Jordaan will be a quieter at night.

2) The Negen Straatjes area has several small cafes. But for the younger traveler probably not the first choice of locations. Its only 10 - 15 minutes to the main squares where the clubs and such are.

To better understand the areas of town, read this article from our Top Questions tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Peace

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

All the areas are safe. Indeed there is nowhere in central Amsterdam that isn't.

I'll second Balou's recommendation of the Estherea. It is a classy, family run hotel in an excellent location. By a quiet canal but close to everything.

The only caveat I would give is that *some* of the standard rooms are quite small. If this is an issue, book a superior. The ones overlooking the canal are particularly nice.

scotland
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

A'dam is a safe city as both above have said ,and the Esthere would be a in a good quiet area .Ive not been in the Hotel ,I passed there last week and had a coffee on the corner at the bridge,and as above the views over the canal will be /are very nice.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

Amsterdam is safe even for single women late at night. Estherea is a great place to stay.

5. Re: Getting confused about hotels and locations - please help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:16