We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquorice

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Liquorice

Hello, I am interested in exploring dutch liquorice. I was wondering if there is a shop that lets you sample different types before purchasing. I leave for my second trip to Mokum in 5 days and cant wait. Thanks for any help.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquorice

I can't help you with a suggestion of store -- I do wish I could remember that store I have been to, years ago, selling exclusively liquorice, not really far from Vijselstraat, short distance from the Rijksmuseum *sigh* ... -- but one important thing you must know, and remember: there are 2 families of it: "zout" --> salted ones (a taste that grows on you - or maybe not), and "zoet" --> sweet ones. Some are sweetened with honey ("hoenig").

The "ou" in 'zout' is pronunced exactly as the 'ou' in "ouch". The "oe" in 'zoet' is pronunced almost like the 'oo' in "took".

Could you bring some back from me ;-?

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquorice

Hi,

Just check http://www.houseofbols.nl, recently opened and absolutely worth a visit. Bols is one of the oldest and largest producers of typical Dutch alcoholic drinks....... I think you could have a great time here.......!

rhode island
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquorice

Thanks for the pronunciation tip Erie. Anyone else know of this shop?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquorice

Hi Matt -

Try out this website, I did a google and found this shop recommendation from Frommers:

frommers.com/destinations/…S25921.html

Gives the address and a write-up. Looks interesting. . .

Have fun, MMKoppes

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquorice

The "some 30 kinds of liquorice" Frommers mentions at Jacob Hooy doesn't sound too impressive - any supermarket will probably have that many kinds.

A 'try before you buy' candyshop in Amsterdam might be difficult to find (too many people "trying" and too few "buying"...) but you could go to the national chain "Jamin" (10 shops in Amsterdam, see www.jamin.nl) where you can buy all kinds of sweets by weight. You could just take a bit from everything that strikes your fancy, and return later to buy more of the kinds you like.

"Het Oud-Hollands Snoepwinkeltje" ("Old Dutch Candy Shoppe") at Tweede Egelantiersdwarsstraat 2 might also be worth a visit.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquorice

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry

I was thinking about liquor............ ; so I recommended Bols.....

Good luck!

rhode island
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquorice

Good Idea JanToo, with 10 shops in Amsterdam I'm sure I will stumble upon one during my week. I went to their website and it being in Dutch was a bit tough for me.. but if their shops are anything like their website, I should maybe go after a trip to a smartshop....

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquorice

There is a Jamin in the Kalverstraat (near the Dam), one in the Reguliersbreestraat and one in the Leidsestraat. Those are all in the city centre area. I used to work in a Jamin. The candy is something of 89 or 99 eurocents per 100grams. Just scoop up what you would like to try and pay.

You have zoet (sweet) and zout (salty). Most foreign people find it liquorice weird and not so tasty. I would try "kokkindjes" to begin with, soft and sweet. Most people like those. You also have salty liquorice which is cream/light brown in color and covered in sugar. Usually in a cube shape. They're called "griotten". You should try some of those as well.

I have to warn you... liquorice is odd tasting at first but I really like it.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquorice

@ MMKoppes: funny: the description of this shop in the link you provided would fit the description of the inside of the store I could never find again. The liquorice they were selling there was not industrial, it was ... heavenly. I hope it's not the very same store, that just happened to have moved since, or I'll beat myself up: I always stay further on that very street when in Amsterdam.

@matt: I expect a trip report from your liquorice investigation, and hope you will try the one above mentioned.

@asbhageloe: I have read on a forum that s/one enjoyed having liquorice ... with red wine. Have you, or anybody else on this forum, ever tried that?

What I'd pay for a feast on fresh Dutch liquorice right now ... ...

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquorice

Wine with liquorice sounds pretty gross to me, although I got imagine that certain salty kinds would go well with a heavier red wine like burgundy.