We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day and a half with parents in their 70s

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
day and a half with parents in their 70s

I'll be in Amsterdam (or The Hague, still deciding) in November. I've been there, but it's been several years. Debating where to stay - I have Hilton points so the Hilton is an option, and I've stayed at NH Schiller before. Issues: Proximity to transportation (parents are in good shape, but mom sometimes has trouble walking longer distances due to hip issues) - I know there's a streetcar stop right in front of the Schiller - also noise - I remember that location was pretty noisy. It'll be Sun/Mon nights though, so maybe quieter? Input appreciated! (Want to make it a really nice hotel, as we don't see each other too often.)

Input on A'dam vs The Hague also welcome:) We tend to be more slower-pace, museum-type people.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 07:26
4 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,777 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: day and a half with parents in their 70s

Noise?

It’s gotten much worse at the Schiller. They now have or at least had as of last visit a popular tv show being filmed in the lobby bar area each week night.

I was there in Jan with a room over looking the square :-(

Sleep was impossible to at least 3 am

The Nh Carlton or the Nh Amsterdam Center are similar value priced four stars in a similar good location—-just no noise issues like the Schiller.

Being also in my 70s my choices of city are in order:

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Edited: 16 October 2018, 07:34
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: day and a half with parents in their 70s

“It’s gotten much worse at the Schiller. They now have or at least had as of last visit a popular tv show being filmed in the lobby bar area each week night.”

RTL Late Night is no longer filmed at the NH Schiller, but the noise issues are likely to be still the same.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,777 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: day and a half with parents in their 70s

Well at least that means the rooms at the back may be OK again. The square side is just going to be far to much noise.

But if the hotel has reclaimed the lobby and bar area back that’s important.

The hotel itself often has really good rates for a four star

Nashville
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: day and a half with parents in their 70s

LOL, ok! Amsterdam it is, then! And the Schiller is still noisy (sigh) - I admit to being partial to it because of the awesome bar and because they checked me in at like 7 am once after a looong flight, but the noise was really a problem. (It's been at least 6 years since I've been there.)

Edited: 16 October 2018, 08:17
Reply to: day and a half with parents in their 70s
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted