We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

I have up to this point been researching the main portions of my trip (Zermatt, Paris and Normandy) but with some time left before we head over to Europe, I wanted to get some suggestions for a short overnight in Amsterdam on July 24th before we fly home on July 25th.

At the conclusion of our trip we will be taking a train from CDG in Paris to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol arriving on July 24. We have not yet purchased our train tickets, so we still have flexibility at what time we leave Paris by train, heading to Amsterdam.

Our plan is to drop our bags once we arrive at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol on the 24th (we are staying at the Hilton at the airport) and head out in Amsterdam. We definitely want to grab dinner somewhere in the city center and I think we may have 3-5 hours to see some sights. I know it is a bit rushed, and I would love to spend more time, but our time will be limited. Everyone traveling with me (my wife and 17 year old son) have never been to Amsterdam before and I would love some suggestions on key sights to try to see, and some suggestions on special spots for dinner as it will be our last night in Europe? We are pretty open in that the sights can be historical, museums or significant to the area or people of Amsterdam/Netherlands.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Hilton Berlin
Hilton Berlin
5,103 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,215 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Well here some framework

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g55616…

Canal boat trip is a mustdo. Dinner in town (not on the boat) another one, others will have some suggestions for that.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,215 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

And already one suggestion for a restaurant with impressive location: Belhamel.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Well if you take the early train around 9am then it will be around 1pm before you get to Amsterdam Centraal. You probably don't have enough time to do a major museum. Maybe Anne frank if that interested you but you will need to book a timeslot (book now if you want to) and then a canal tour then get some dinner, have a walk around and get some dinner before going back to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
139 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Thank you for the suggestion of Belhamel the view looks amazing and the menu is quite interesting. My son may have to get a bit out of his comfort zone if we decide to dine here, but what a great way to wrap up our trip.

With Ronaldo's suggestion, and not knowing yet what train we will take from CDG to Amsterdam Schiphol, it is sounding like we may want to focus on a walking tour and or a canal boat tour and then dinner. That may give us a chance to wander around and explore/people watch before going back to the airport. We may not have time to do much else?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Reply to: Short overnight at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amsterdam