We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

Hello! I'm arriving at Schiphol Airport at 6AM on a weekday and would like to attend a walking tour that begins at 11AM from the Jordaan area. However, I will have a checked bag that needs to be dropped off at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel - City Hall, which is at Valkenburgerstraat 14. I plan to use the train to get downtown.

My question is - if I have to pick up my checked bag and go through passport control (non-EU passport), then swing by the hotel and be in Jordaan by 11AM, is that possible? I recall in London we waited for almost 2.5 hours in passport control. I am also open to a left luggage storage options downtown if that would save time. Thanks in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,990 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

Hi there,

Normally yes. Train and then tram 9 to hotel, then tram 9 back to station and bus (number depends on location, use 9292.nl/en for the route) to Jordaan. If you have delays then leave luggage in locker at train station, your train ticket Schiphol-Central hopefully also allows the turnstiles when you come back for pickup. A GVB 24h card for this first day makes sense as you already have 3 rides (to hotel, back to Jordaan and at end of tour back to hotel),

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

Gosh, I don't see any problem making that tour. Passport control should not take 2.5 hours. Been to Amsterdam numerous times and don't recall anytime having a long wait.

Your alternate plan will work too. Leave the luggage at Centraal Station.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

I agree with Sue - shouldn't have any problems but Erik has done an excellent job of laying out a plan and alternative.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,877 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?

Personally after a long flight I would take an uber x from the airport. will be about €30.

From Amsterdam CS you would be better taking bus 22 or 49 to the Kadijksplein which will be quicker than tram 9 and slightly closer to drag luggage. then take the 22 bus to the Buiten Oranjestraat and you are basically in the Jordaan. Where exactly do you need to be in the Jordaan?

Reply to: Can I make an 11AM tour downtownif I land at Schipol at 6AM?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted