We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corkscrew needs

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Corkscrew needs

I will need a corkscrew/wine key during my stay in the Netherlands but I'm not checking a bag, so I can't bring one with me. What would be the best place to buy one? I'm flying into Schiphol (layover in Reykjavik) and staying in Amsterdam (de Pijp). And if I can buy a bottle of wine at this same place, so much the better!

5 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corkscrew needs

Lots of decent wine doesn’t have a cork anymore, but a screw cap instead. Otherwise just about any supermarket or liqor store like Gall&Gall will sell both wine and cork srews.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Corkscrew needs

To buy a corkscrew, there are multiple Blokker shops in/around De Pijp, for example at Ceintuurbaan 109A, Stadhouderskade 111 or Maasstraat 37. These are shop for household articles, so won't sell wine.

For wine, you could go to any supermarket or to Gall&Gall, for example in De Pijp at Cornelis Troostplein 11 or Van Woustraat 125.

Also, I think there's a good chance a simple corkscrew (without blade) will be allowed on board.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 01:56
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corkscrew needs

You're right - I didn't realize that a corkscrew can be carried if there is no blade (and I have one w/out a blade). Thanks so much! I did check the TSA requirements but obviously didn't note the "no blade" allowance.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 02:08
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corkscrew needs

A folding lever-function would be permitted, but not an actual pointed screw type.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corkscrew needs

And thanks to both of you for the information about where to buy wine!

Reply to: Corkscrew needs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted