We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Store bike case

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Store bike case

I’m planning to fly into Amsterdam inAugust with my bike in a case & ride for a week from there, then take a train back to Amsterdam & fly out. Does anyone know of a bike shop that would reassemble the bike out of the case & store the case, for a reasonable fee, for the week?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
9 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Store bike case

Surely renting a bike here would be the better option over worrying about all that.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,044 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Store bike case

Where are you staying or planning to go. Surely you would need to take a train to get to a bike shop. Some stations will have a bike sop on site and some do luggage storage also.

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Store bike case

I've done that and the bikes have been fine for a day or so but not like having one that's in perfect maintenance and fitted. However, we're looking to ride for 7-9 days in multiple countries. I'm not sure how a rental place would feel about that.

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Store bike case

After the first night in Amsterdam, we will ride as far as we can go for the 7-9 days (still planning) and then put the bikes on a train and come back. Countryside in the Netherlands, Keukenhof gardens, Bruges, Gent, perhaps into France or Germany. The focus of the trip is cycling, which is why I'm so interested in having my fitted bike.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Level Contributor
800 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Store bike case

Keukenhof is closed. It will re open in 2019.

Mentioned in this post
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,223 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Store bike case

Thank you! That is really helpful to know.

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Store bike case

Thank you! I will look for a shop near the train station that will assemble and store the case. It’s easy to get back there to pick up the bike, after it’s assembled, regardless of where in the city we stay the first night.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Store bike case

Good question. Is it really a hard case or more like a bag?

Maybe send it somewhere by post. If they can't deliver they'll keep it at the nearest post office for two weeks ;-)

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Store bike case

I haven't purchased it yet and so am deciding between hard and soft. Leaning toward soft. I can check it on the plane and whatever one I buy will have wheels so taking it on the train from the airport to Amsterdam shouldn't be too difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Reply to: Store bike case
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted