We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam> Marken> Volendam> Edam> Amsterdam

Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam> Marken> Volendam> Edam> Amsterdam

Hi,

Sorry in advance for the long post. I am planning to take a day trip from Amsterdam to Marken, Volendam, Edam and back to Amsterdam in September 19th.I would be traveling with my elderly parents. Is this trip doable in a day and also instead of taking a packaged rushed day trip from agents, I am thinking to get a waterland card and travel on easy pace. I am little confused whether the Geithoorn day trip(through agent) or the Volendam, Marken & Edam day trip would be more picturesque. Will these trip be very stressful on knees for elderly couple. My parents aren't very fit. Taking bus and ferry(city transportation system) will be more tedious or you suggest the agents tour? How will be the weather there during that time wet gloomy chilly or mildly cold and sunny. I understand weather is unpredictable but still how is it usually at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Payel

2 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam> Marken> Volendam> Edam> Amsterdam

Do Volendam, Marken, and Edam instead of Giethoorn. Use public transportation instead of a tour. There will be plenty of places to stop and have a cup of coffee or a beer when your parents get tired. The weather can be anything. When my wife and I go out for a day we take a backpack with waterproof windcheaters and maybe a small umbrella or rainhat.

My suggestion would be to go to Volendam and Edam first, see how they feel, then make up your minds if you want to go on to Marken.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam> Marken> Volendam> Edam> Amsterdam

Thank you ddavis. Really appreciate your advice.

Reply to: Amsterdam> Marken> Volendam> Edam> Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted