We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speculaas

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Speculaas

I am a first born American with Dutch parents and I will be visiting Amsterdam in July. I grew up getting wonderful packages from relatives and one of my favorite things were the speculaas cookies. Does anyone know of a bakery that makes them? I know that you can buy them in the grocery store, but I would love to try a fresh baked one.

Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
1. Re: Speculaas

Dozens of bakeries will have them. On google maps do a search for "banketbakker".

if you want a specific location, you need to get to give us a specific location.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Speculaas

Ok I'll search using that word. I had read somewhere that they are only found at Christmas and I'm hoping that's not the case. Thank you

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Speculaas

“I had read somewhere that they are only found at Christmas“

I think what you have read is that they are only found at Sinterklaas, not at Christmas. Speculaas, either filled and soft or non-filled and crispy, is eaten a lot during the Sinterklaas period. The crispy non-filled type of Speculaas can be found all year long, but I don’t think I have seen the soft and filled variety (called “gevulde speculaas”) outside of the Sinterklaas period.

Which variety are you looking for?

Edited: 12 May 2018, 16:55
Soquel, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Speculaas

Oh, yes I think you are right. I want to find the crispy ones that are not filled.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Speculaas

Well no you don't because the filled variety is a 100 times better :) but yes the non filled variety can be found year round in supermarkets and bakery.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Speculaas

Mmmm, yes gevulde speculaas is soooo much better than regular speculaas. Regular speculaas is just plain ordinary speculaas. But gevulde speculaas, especially when made with a filling made from almonds, is divine!

Maryland
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Speculaas

Mmmmmm. That sounds SO Goooood !

😋😛

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,900 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Speculaas

Not sure I've ever had gevulde speculaas. Sounds great! At Sinterklaas I've always had banket staafje which is also filled with almond paste (or marzipan) and is also delicious.

Will be in The Netherlands in November and will now be on the lookout for it.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

9. Re: Speculaas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 November 2018, 09:36
Edited: 09 November 2018, 09:36

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Speculaas

Ha ha... okay, I'll have to try those sometime. I'm just going off of my childhood memory and they were the crispy ones 😀

Reply to: Speculaas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted