We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol

We’re arriving at Schiphol on a Delta flight, and then changing to Air France for travel onward. Delta will accept our bags for carry on but the bags don’t meet size guidelines for Air France. Will we have to exit secured area of airport to re-check our bags, or can we just go to gate for Air France flgith and have bags checked there? (Baggage fees for Air France flight were included with tickets we purchased.). Thanks for all advice!

3 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol

Is there any reason you can't check your bags all the way, and just keep what you need in a smaller bag? That would be the easiest solution by far, and would save a lot of hassle. (I'm assuming this is on one ticket)

But, having said that, if you present yourselves at the gate with your over-sized bags they will just take them off, they won't send you landside to check them.

Incidentally, are you sure there is a baggage fee for your connecting flight? As far as I know there is a free baggage allowance for long-haul itineraries which includes any connecting flights.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,531 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol

Delta's limit is 56 x 36 x 23 cm. AF limit is 55 x 35 x 25 cm which is basically the same volume. I sincerely doubt it will be questioned especially as you are on a connecting flight from AF's Delta partner.Certainly do not go airside to check the bags. If the flight is packed full then then they may ask to gate check the bag but I think you are worrying about nothing.

No-one has ever looked twice at my carry on when flying AF.

Edit - btw this belongs on the air travel form, it has nothing to do with Amsterdam.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 19:35
Portland, Oregon
2 posts
3. Re: Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the information.

Reply to: Changing planes and airlines at Schiphol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted