We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preparing for rain

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Preparing for rain

Are we better off bringing a raincoat and umbrella, or waiting until it rains (or is about to) and then buying gear that fits the place where we are at? We will be in Amsterdam for four days, Norway (including Bergen where reportedly it always rains) for three days, Stockholm for four days, and then on a cruise that goes to several cities. The trip is the middle and end of June. On the same note, are those pack-into-a-pouch poncho things worth anything at all for the kind of rain in Amsterdam and Scandinavia?

5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preparing for rain

Pack-in-a-pouch-poncho, I call it a Body Condom, they look sad but do the job OK in a still rain, if it’s not blowing wind. Toss it in your bag if you already have one, it takes up no room and it can be practical. If you find you need something more, like a thin nylon-ish anorak with a hood, they are everywhere and cheap enough.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 09:35
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preparing for rain

Pack a pack-in-a-pouch waterproof windbreaker and a rain hat. They take up almost no room in your suitcase. An umbrella is okay but can become a nuisance on a windy day.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preparing for rain

I don’t like umbrellas, The are eye-pokers on busy sidewalks, reverse in sturdy winds, you sometimes cannot see where you are going, and you have to hold it- I prefer to be carrying other things. I do better with a hood.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preparing for rain

Agree Sunny.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews