We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

We need to take a train from Amsterdam Schiphol to Burgge BE after arriving at 8:00 on overnight flight from US. Is it best to wait and buy the ticket after we arrive so we know for sure what train we can make - based on whether or not our fight is on time and how long it takes to get through customs? If we go ahead and buy a ticket - say for 10:30 - can we use it on a latter train, if necessary? Are tickets bought at the last minute significantly higher than those bought in advance? Also, how easy is it to get to the train station inside the airport from where you exit customs? We will have carry-on luggage only. Thanks!

31 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,963 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Hi there,

Last question is easiest: yes station is smack next door to Arrivals area, follow the signs.

For IC train, whether you prebuy or buy on the day, no price difference; and tickets are valid for a day not a train. It's slower than Thalys but to our understanding now it skips The Hague and uses the fast High Speed part to Rotterdam too?

For Thalys it's airline-style pricing, which means the closer to the date the higher (can be triple of the price 3 months ahead). And tickets are for a specific train, with any cheaper ticket changing has a prohibitive cost.

So if you opt for Thalys choose a large buffer space, indeed 10-10.30 at earlies, to allow for flight delays...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

I would not advise taking the Thalys now especially off a flight. You can get a fixed fare of €29 by using the IC trains.You should buy tickets online as you need to buy a bit in advance but as Erik says your ticket is valid for any train that day.

The Thalys is a bit quicker and a fancier train but if you just want to get there then the IC is perfectly comfortable. you can spend a bit more for 1st class (€41) if you want a bit more space and probably quieter but no real need.

https:/…20180612

If you buy 1st class you can use the NS lounge at Schiphol whilst waiting on the train. It is not that great but has some snacks, tea, coffee etc

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

While not traveling from Bruges, we just did trains from Schiphol to Leiden, Leiden to Rotterdam, Rotterdam to Brussels, then returned to Amsterdam from Ghent, using IC trains and not Thalys. For the last journey, we did decide to buy 1st class, just to have more room for our suitcases and a less crowded area. For us it was worth the extra money.

The train station is in the airport and is super-easy to find.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Since you're likely to be a bit groggy, please keep an eye on your bags. Cousins came the other week and they said that thieves put a dummy pack in the overhead rack and then took a nearby traveler's bag. Just thought I'd mention that. Just be aware and try not to look like a mark. But really safe in general.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

I followed Ronaldo's link and I'm not sure if it took me to the IC or the Thalys website but the tickets were all for specific times. I'm in the position of the OP and want tickets for anytime on the day I arrive. Was I looking in the wrong place or am Iconfused? Or both.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Ron's link takes you to the NS Dutch railway site. Searching there will show you both IC and Thalys. These are clearly marked in the results. If it's an IC train, the tickets are good any time of the day regardless of what time you pick.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Yes, I see. You can change an IC ticket any time during that day. Would it be a bad idea just to wait until we get there? Then we'd have the option of booking a one-change Thalys-IC instead of a two-change IC-IC-IC. Is there any chance that everything would be full?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

There's a small chance the Thalys is completely sold out. The IC, no.

The train changes aren't that bad. The reason the IC routing has an extra transfer is because it's quicker to go via Antwerp. You can continue on to Brussels Midi for a direct train to Bruges. It just will take longer. You can take any train, BTW. So if you're worried about missing your connection, you just take the next train. There will be several per hour.

The tickets will be cheaper if you buy them well in advance.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

Erik says: "For IC train, whether you prebuy or buy on the day, no price difference"

Ronaldo says: "You can get a fixed fare of €29 by using the IC trains.You should buy tickets online as you need to buy a bit in advance but as Erik says your ticket is valid for any train that day."

These two are opposite advice. Did something change recently? I don't think there ever were Advance fares.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,419 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight

As far as I know, tickets for IC trains remain the same..

Reply to: Train from Schiphol after overnight US flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted