We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee shop for seasoned user

Arkansas
Level Contributor
167 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee shop for seasoned user

Passing through Amsterdam in June..would love to visit a coffee shoppe and experience the freedom; however, I would rather visit one that is not as touristy as some may be..would like one that is frequented by locals instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

Hi Olivia, you should check out Kashmir lounge, it's a short walk out of the centre and has a coffee shop on one side of the road and a smoke friendly bar opposite, never more than a couple of tourists there and It's very welcoming,

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir Lounge
Kashmir Lounge
67 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

kashmir is very nice. most are, outside the canal ring

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,321 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

https://www.katsu.nl/ I hear is good. I don't partake myself though.

Duivel across the street does the best chicken satay I have ever had if you get the munchies. the rest of the food is good there too.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,787 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

IMO this let me sit with locals is over rated. Most folks you will run into will be from somewhere else. Coffeeshops are very international. I can count on two hands the locals I have had significant quality chats with over the past 30 years in coffeeshops.

The last one stands out------a total and complete looney. Microwaves from space melting your brain was his main challenger McEnroe.

The single most important thing again IMO is not the service anymore, it's not the quality of the bud, and it's not who shops there-----it's after 20 minutes can I finally find a free seat to sit in.

Crowds so thick in Barneys last trip it was hard to move around. Took me 15 mins to find a seat. Had a delightful conversation with a nice much younger couple from GB though as I taught them the wonders of the volcano vape.

It was packed and unpleasant. Well unpleasant for a coffeeshop at least.

Now it's true that the farther you get out from the center the more likely it is that you will find smaller crowds. And more locals. But smaller crowds would be my single most important issue now. No matter where the coffeeshop was located.

That never seemed to be an issue 20 years ago

One suggestion for a place I have found more expats or locals and not far out is the Noon coffeeshop. Near the Rijks. It has never been hard to find a seat or talk in a normal voice with others. Quality product.

Beware though if a local sits down next to you and starts taking about microwave energy from outer space melting brains. You have been warned :-)

Edited: 11 May 2018, 00:05
Mentioned in this post
Rijks
Rijks
1,244 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,787 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

My iPad seems to have lost its mind. There is auto correct above that makes absolutely no sense at all:-(

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee shop for seasoned user

No change there, then 😀

Reply to: Coffee shop for seasoned user
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted