We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Amsterdam

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Amsterdam

Hi there

Have 2 options for cheap acc in Ams and wondering if someone could advise on access to city or are they walkable to get to attractions/ site : Zuidas Business district or Keynesplein 2, Amsterdam

City break no work involved!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#4 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#5 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#6 of 379 hotels in Amsterdam
12 replies to this topic
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

Zuidas is better among the two, but most people here would say its not real Amsterdam (for tourists). so if you can search a bit more - see if you can get closer to the central areas.

You can take metro and tram to city center from Zuidas area - takes 20 minutes. A taxi ride late in the evening after 6pm takes just 10-minutes to most places except if you have to get to somewhere between Rokin/Damrak specifically. Museum and Leidseplein access is very decent from Zuidas area.

Look at the maps carefully to see where are things / places which you want to go to.

Mentioned in this post
Rokin Hotel
Rokin Hotel
551 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Damrak
Damrak
409 Reviews
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
306 Reviews
Delft, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

Please take a look at Google Maps.

The 2 regions you prefer are both really far away (7-10 km) from the center.

Is there a particular reason for your choice of these 2 regions, or are you just looking for a more quiet and cheaper place outside the city? In that case, there are a few good options in the Arena region (such as the new easyhotel Bijlmer Arena).

ps: Amsterdam is not a cheap city :( Comparable to Brussels, a bit cheaper than London and a bit more expensive than Berlin.

Edited: 12 October 2017, 08:56
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,629 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

I would go closer to the center.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

I really enjoy Amsterdam Zuid area and stay there when I can - As alluded to its 9-5 office and higher end residential area so it is a lot quiter outside peak hours (though been getting better over the years). If you're big on clubbing and nightlife then this isn't the area for you.

Tram 5 gets you into the centre in 15 minutes and goes every 10 minutes. museum quarter is probably about a 20-25 min walk and the centre another 15-20

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

Thanks all, Yes no reason for staying in either area, jsut cheaper accom. I think I need to spend a little more and move closer, thanks so much everyone!! :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

If you want help on where to stay while staying closer in, within your actual budget, then we would need exact dates and an idea of your upper budget limit.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

3rd to 5th Nov. Budget about 130 euros per night twin room :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

Hotel Piet Hein

Well reviewed 7.8 score in the museum zone for 144 euros. A bit above budget.

But when I start from the lowest priced, controlled for close in location, and a well reviewed hotel double room, this is where I had to go to find something I'd suggest for a family member-----one I actually liked.

It's an expensive November weekend. But once you get to town you can walk everywhere. No need for trains, taxis , metros, night buses, etc.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 04:02
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Piet Hein
Hotel Piet Hein
1,080 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

I see a bit of the dilemma in doing a search for ya. I would still suggest areas that aren't in Centraal but an easy 15 30 minwalk or 5 mins on a tram, train or metro. Sloterdijk area has a few hotels and many transportation options. I am staying st Student Hotel Amsterdam on Wibaustraat as one of my places on my next trip - which is on the Eastern edge of city but there's a metro stop right there that takes 2 stops and 5 min to centraal station (or 25 min stroll in the city into centraal). Others on here will hopefully be able to give other options/alternatives for u to consider

Mentioned in this post
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
132 Reviews
Hotel Amsterdam Inn
Hotel Amsterdam Inn
641 Reviews
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Amsterdam

Spending a few extra euros on a place in the center means a better quality experience and stay. Not having to depend on a train or a metro to get back and forth. To be able to walk back to your room easily during the day or night is a major bonus.

Staying in a fun interesting area with lots to see and so that is right around your hotel is much better than taking a train back to a sterile office park that has very little to do.

There are cheaper places to stay than the center.. But the center especially for a short time visit is by far the best. Besides they will save transportation costs.

I hate to spend other people money but for a much better location-----spend a few extra euros-----you will enjoy your stay much more.

Reply to: where to stay in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted