We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

My apologies if it has been asked, but couldn't find the answer with my searches.

I am flying from Thailand to Italy via AMS with just a couple of hours between flights. I know i clear immigration in AMS and I assume security as well. But can not find out about baggage.

Is there a bag claim, clear customs, recheck/bag drop procedure? Or will I deal with that in Italy (similar to the CIQ system in Thailand)? Or something else?

Thanks

Edited: 16 August 2017, 13:33
8 replies to this topic
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

It depends on your flight, which if on one ticket and connection should let you check the luggage through to Italy and need to complete only immigration etc. at Schiphol. If these are two separate tickets, then having only two hours is not a good idea. It would be a challenge.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

It is a single ticket on KLM / KLM CityHopper. I understand KLM CityHopper uses bus shuttles to a different departure area so adds a bit of time to the layover needs, hence why I was wondering I had to spend time dealing with baggage and customs.

Unfortunately the choices of flights are limited to the combo I have, and the connection to Italy is the last of the day.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

In your first post you mention you have "a couple of hours" in between flights. How much time do you have exactly?

I recently flew with KLM Cityhopper to London and the flight indeed left from a bussed gate. However that doesn't have to mean you will need more time to make the connection. Boarding started at the same time as for any other flight and the bus ride only took 5 minutes.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

I have one hour 55 minutes, so actually just shy of a couple of hours. Good to hear the bus gates are't that big of a tine factor.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 19:57
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

1 hour and 55 minutes should be plenty of time to make the connection. The only bottleneck could be the passport check as you go from outside Schengen into Schengen. If you're incoming flight is on time you should be able to make it. However I would advise you to go thru the check first before stopping for coffee, food, shopping etc. If your incoming flight is late and you run the risk of missing your onward flight, you can use the fast lane at the passport check. If your flight number is displayed on the screen above the fast lane, you are allowed to use the fast lane.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

It is not guaranteed that you will be bussed to the aircraft. It depends on the aircraft and availability of air bridges on the day.

If it is an ERJ-190 then probably an airbridge. If an ERJ-170 or a Fokker 70/100 then likely a bus gate. Minimum connection time (MCT) for a flight like this at AMS is only 40 minutes. You have much more than that.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

Thanks to all for the feedback. Everything sounds pretty straight forward. Heck if the Italy flight (which is on a 190) gets a jetway gate, might even have time to hit the lounge for a shower and beer :)

UK
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage

UK Cityhopper flights generally involve a bus ride - but with Schengen ones it seems to be totally random. And sometimes you won't know whether you're going to board a bus or a plane until you've had your boarding pass scanned at the gate. I've gone down a flight of stairs and boarded an aircraft, and have walked down the same flight of stairs on another occasion and boarded a bus.

Reply to: AMS international to intra-schengen baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted