We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

Hello Everyone!

My girlfriend and I will be in Amsterdam for a day trip in about a week, and I was wondering what would be some recommendations for the best spots to get fries (which we love), or any other favorite street foods in general. We are not picky and enjoy foods of all types. Also, what would be some necessities to do or see when we are there. We will be in Amsterdam for about 9 hours and we plan on seeing the Anne Frank house and a taking a short canal cruise. Any other suggestions.

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

I love Maniquin Pis for fries (frittes) at the top of Damrak, directly across the street from the Canal Cruises, where you can take your frittes onboard. There isn't really a culture of "street food" per se, (it's difficult to tax and license a cart) however the (flea) markets all have stalls with great foods, herring, baked goods, meats, cheeses, flowers, etc.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

Thank you so much!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

If you don't have tickets for Anne Frank House you will be in a long line. They are timed tickets.

Canal cruise is a must.

Just roam around Dam Square, Rembrandt Square, Vondelpark. Lots of outdoor cafes.

Besides frites and herring, try Febo.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

+1 sunny..two birds with one stone..get frites, canal cruise on one street which is just down from train station you will arrive to town on...and unless you have pre-purchased AFH tickets for a time slot you will not have time to stand in line and you cannot do that until 15:30. so after canal cruise just wander around a bit until time to return to airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

This is also a good place for fries:

http://vleminckxdesausmeester.nl/en/

And personally I also like the fries at Burger Bar, together with their amazing burgers.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I will definitely buy tickets for Anne Frank house to skip the line.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

You are far too late to get tickets for Anne Frank Huis, unless they release extra tickets. Check the website every day and see what you can get (Probably nothing)

http://www.annefrank.org/

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

They almost always release a block of tickets the day before, and another block the morning of.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

Yes, you are right I had no idea I needed to buy in such advance. But no worry, we plan on returning in the near future and I will know next time to buy tickets months in advance. Thank you everyone for the information as we can knock out fries and canal cruises right when we get there. All of your insight is greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities

I love the Dutch croquettes at this establishment

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Re…

Reply to: Amsterdam Fries, Street food, and Activities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted