We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

we took our flights out of Schiphol airport on our recent Europe trip. me and my two female friends were given a pat down search after passing through the scanner. although there was no alarm from the scanner. I am not sure if it's a part of general routine at Schiphol. anyone?

Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and...
2,343 reviews
from USD 66.82*
Bruges Day Trip from Amsterdam
974 reviews
from USD 115.42*
Amsterdam Evening Canal Cruise with...
788 reviews
from USD 108.13*
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Van Gogh Museum and...
469 reviews
from USD 120.28*
12 replies to this topic
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Yes. The world is not in a good place right now. And you won't know if the machine signaled anything or not. It does not have to be audible.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

The body scans in Amsterdam don't have an audible alarm, so you can't be sure that the machine didn't signal anything. The security personnel check the monitor to study your scan and based on what they see they will decide if a pat down search is in order.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

The scanners having an audible alarm would be fun. That would be the biggest panic ever every time it went off.

But part of the theatre is that pat downs are routinely done at times. Either because the scanner went off on something or because of a random check. It could be both but yes it is part of the routine.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Not fun, but surely routine.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Was the pat down search done by a female member of the security team as you particalar mentioned your friends are females?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,504 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

I seem to have to have a pat down about 50% of the time. The airport doesn't seem to matter.

UK
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

"The scanners having an audible alarm would be fun. That would be the biggest panic ever every time it went off."

Scanners have audible alarms at most if not all UK airports. I've never seen any panics break out. And I find those audible alarms quite useful. If I hear a soft bleep I know I have to stop. If I don't hear that soft bleep I know I can walk on.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

I have to admit that my non white friends get "random|" searches more than i do based on my experience of traveling with them. A lot of the times, I get to walk through, and they are stopped for a "random\' search/ question/ pat down.

I am sure there is some kind of profiling going on than mere coincidence.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 09:55
Manorbier, United...
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Your style of clothing might be different than your friends. It's certainly not left to coincidence whether you get patted down or not. The scanners indicate the chance of anything hidden in or underneath clothing, and tell the operators if an additional pat down is required. I have my opinions about security staff at Schiphol, but I find it hard to believe that they can make the decision themselves about who gets a pat down and who doesn't. Btw I'm white and seem to get a pat down 3 out of 4 times I pass there, even when travelling with family/kids. But according to your logic that's probably because security staff is mostly colored and they are racially profiling me?

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol

Whenever I travel, I notice that more (a larger percent of ) people get a pat down among those crossing a scanner than those who are not. There is not much into it except that they do not want to leave things to a chance. Do not make it into a controversial topic.

Reply to: is a pat down search routine at Schiphol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted