We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groningen to Amsterdam

East London, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Groningen to Amsterdam

I will be in Groningen in August this year in a party of 7 adults, 3 children and 1 infant and we want to travel to Amsterdam via Makkum and Volendam. Any ideas on suggesed tourist attractions on route and cheapest mode of transport. Thanks Patricia

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
273 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

Hi,

First a tip: Makkum is well known, but quite small and has lots and lots of tourists. Volendam is a old fishing village and while pleasant there are many more interesting places on the Ijsselmeer. I'd seriously consider visiting Enkhuizen and Hoorn instead (they are also easier to get to).

Your proposed journey isn't easy, because there are few good transport connections across the Ijsselmeer. Moreover, Makkum and Volendam have no train stations, so probably best to visit then either as a day trip from Amsterdam (many companies offer this) or public bus (see http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ ). A route from Groningen not via Amsterdam would be slow and complex. Groningen to Amsterdam itself is straightforward via train. Train travel in the Netherlands is quite affordable.

Having said that a fun way of travelling from Groningen to Amsterdam via the west side of the Ijsselmeer (where Volendam is located) would be as follows:

1. Train from Groningen ==> Stavoren (2 hours). Stavoren is an old Ijsselmeer village (although not my favourite). The train passes through Hindelopen, which is small, beautiful and unspoilt (but note that the station is a about 2 kilometers from the village).

2. Passenger ferry from Stavoren to Enkhuizen. Enkhuizen is one of the old centres of the Dutch East Indies company and (IMHO) a must see. You could spend a day at the outdoors Zuiderzee Museum on its own.

3. Train to Hoorn (30 minutes). Hoorn is another old centre of the Dutch East Indies company and (IMHO) another must see. The old harbour is especially lovely.

4. Train to Amsterdam (30 minutes)

Hope this helps, even though it isn't what you asked for!

Rees

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
273 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

Just realised that as I typed my last reply in a hurry I mentally switched Makkum and Marken in my head. So ignore my comments on Makkum! I have updated my contribution accordingly and append it below.

=========================================================

First at tip. Makkum and Volendam are both old harbour towns on the Ijsselmeer and while and while pleasant there are many more interesting places on the Ijsselmeer. I'd seriously consider visiting Enkhuizen, Hoorn or Hindelopen instead (they are also easier to get to).

Your proposed journey isn't easy, because there are few good public transport connections across the Ijsselmeer. Moreover, Makkum and Volendam have no train stations. Volendam is probably best to visit then either as a day trip from Amsterdam (some companies offer this) or public bus (see http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ ). A route from Groningen to Volendam not via Amsterdam would be slow and complex. Groningen to Amsterdam itself is straightforward via train. Train travel in the Netherlands is quite affordable.

Having said that a fun way of travelling from Groningen to Amsterdam via the west side of the Ijsselmeer (where Volendam is located) would be as follows:

1. Train from Groningen ==> Stavoren (2 hours). Stavoren is an old Ijsselmeer village (although not my favourite). The train passes through Hindelopen, which is small, beautiful and unspoilt (but note that the station is a about 2 kilometers from the village).

2. Passenger ferry from Stavoren to Enkhuizen. Enkhuizen is one of the old centres of the Dutch East Indies company and (IMHO) a must see. You could spend a day at the outdoors Zuiderzee Museum on its own.

3. Train to Hoorn (30 minutes). Hoorn is another old centre of the Dutch East Indies company and (IMHO) another must see. The old harbour is especially lovely.

4. Train to Amsterdam (30 minutes)

Hope this helps, even though it isn't what you asked for!

Rees

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

In April 2012 want to travel by train from Amsterdam to Lelysted... look at the Batavia ship then travel onto across the dyke road to

Enkkhuizem.

Is there a bus service for this? Or what alternatves are there?

Then next day by ferry to Stavoren then by train to Groningen.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 20:25
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

There is only one bus a day, the 650 that makes the journey over the dijk from Lelystad to Enkhuizen (IMO one of the real must do journeys in NL).

…ovinnederland.nl/wiki/…_Centrum

It leaves Lelystad at 16.01 and takes 37 minutes.

I'm afraid, hire car aside, there are no alternatives that actually use the dijk.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,901 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

Is this for a day trip?

Then this is not an easy thing to do by public transport. Also unless you can get a deal like they were running this summer where you could travel by train all day for €14.50 then for 7 plus kids its gonna cost you over €300.

IMO look at renting a mini bus or two cars. You will get there quicker and it will probably work out cheaper.

I would even consider looking at a local bus hire firm to get quotes

If you are just going one way then yeah half that cost. Still might be cheaper with a rental and one way drop off.

I would also go to Zaanse Scans on the way.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

Thank you for your reply.

How astonishing! The alternative for me is to return via train toAmsterdam and reroute around to Enkhuizen. I am interested in seeing the Batavia and the Museum at Enkhuizem, stay the night there and take the ferry to Storvan and the trainonto Groningen.

I have no idea what to expect but the whole history of dykes and land is interesting.

I am travelling on my own. Apart from art I am interested in farming also. I have a beef farm in N Z.

Thank you for your consideration.

Graham

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

thanks, that was very helpful. we will be in the netherlands for only 2 nights in may and i wanted to visit this pretty harbour i have seen photos of.

8. Re: Groningen to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Groningen