We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions on transport

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
248 posts
123 reviews
questions on transport

Good afternoon. My son and I will be visiting the University in February. We plan to fly into Shiphol and take the train to Groningen. My questions are around transport. Do you recommend I purchase our train tickets in advance (is their a price break or convenience factor) or is it just something you do once you arrive with no problem or risk of a sold out train. It looks like there is more than one station for Groningen (groningen, europark, noord) which is the correct one? We will be staying at the NH Hotel de ville. And as our plane/train arrivals are later in the evening, is there typically a taxi stand at the train station or should I plan to book an uber? Lastly, I would certainly welcome any expert's insight or recommendations on places to eat or advice for enjoying the town. As it's our first time there, we are completely open to suggestions for our weekend there. Many thanks for all you do for TA forums. :)

12 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: questions on transport

There is no need to buy anything in advance trains can't sell out and no price advantage. Just buy the tickets as you arrive at the stations. Either use the machines or the manned desks. Trains depart from platform 1 or 2 at. 04 and. 34 past the hour. If you take the. 34 you'll have to change in Zwolle but this is just a matter or crossing to the opposite platform.

Groningen is the stop the intercity calls at and from there you can take any bus to the UMCG. Bus 6 towards Delfzijl seems to go until after midnight. There is no Uber in Groningen. You can of ourselves take a taxi if you prefer.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
248 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: questions on transport

Thank you kindly :)

upstate NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: questions on transport

I can recommend the Hotel Schimmelpenninck Huys. Maybe a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, 5 minutes to the Grote Markt in the old city center. They have a great breakfast, and the rooms are around a quiet courtyard.

In town there is the bell tower to climb, and some nice museums; I really enjoyed just walking around the old town. Huge pedestrian area. A nice city, plenty of energy with all the students.

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
285 posts
537 reviews
4. Re: questions on transport

Welcome to Groningen. It is a small but lively city, with lots of bars and restaurants. It is good for music and the performing arts too.

There are normally plenty of taxis at the station. In addition the bus service is quite efficient and in the town centre everything is within walking distance. Look at https://9292.nl/en for bus and train details. The arts faculties are in the centre of town, near your hotel, while the science faculties are in the Zernike campus to the north (which is a short bus or taxi journey)

My favourite bars are either the Uurwerker or the Stadtlander. The Uurwerker a lively student bar, while the Stadtlander is a little more traditional brown bar. Zondag is nice for the location in the Noorder Plantsoen, but much better in summer when you can sit on the terrace. All three of these serve simple food in an informal atmosphere, so might be good if you are on your own. My favourite restaurants are currently Dinner Cafe Diep, Brussels Lof and Restaurant Robust.

Hotel Prinsehof has the most beautiful bar/ in the town (although I don't recommend eating there). 't Feithhuis is a good place for lunch: nice location and atmosphere (but the food in the evening taste like it comes out of a microwave).

Make sure you take a walk around the old centre, including the Martinikerkhof, Vismarkt, Hooge de Aa, Noorderhaven and Noorderplantsoen.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
248 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: questions on transport

Thank you

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
248 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: questions on transport

Wow! Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: questions on transport

We will be flying into Schiphol and need to get to Winsum. Never been to the Netherlands before. Do we take the same train going to Groningen but it will stop in Winsum?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,096 posts
229 reviews
8. Re: questions on transport

No at Groningen you transfer to a bus or another train. See www.9292.nl/en, it really depends on where exactly.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: questions on transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 November 2018, 19:18

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
10. Re: questions on transport

Hi,

You will take the train to Groningen mainstation (hoofdstation), from there you can change onto the train to Winsum. There is no need to buy a trainticket in advance, just by a ticket ro Winsum on Schiphol Airport. The ticket machines are in English and pretty straightforward.

Reply to: questions on transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Groningen