We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam

This forum was very valuable in helping me plan my trip a few weeks ago. Thank you everyone. I haven’t seen anyone report about getting a tripkey from Rotterdam.

I hesitated about TripKey since I was arriving by train from Belgium and only staying a few days. Since I stayed in Leiden, not near there pick up point, it seems more trouble than worth until I realized there was a pick up point at the Rotterdam train station.

I needed to change trains there anyway, so it seemed simple. The Hertz location turns out not to be in the station, it’s outside, across the street and down the block. I only found it thanks to lots of helpful people and google maps.

The woman working there was startled to see me, it took her a minute to read my confirmation and realize what I was talking about. She apologized for how long it took her on the computer to get my card - said it was a new system. Handed me the card without literature or a return envelope. I was too frazzled by a day of traveling to think to ask.

The card worked fine on buses in Leiden and surrounding area. The 3rd day I took the bus to Sassenheim to see the flower floats and deco to return by train. I tapped in, it seemed strange, but there’s no staff at that station so I just got on. In Leiden, the barrier wouldn’t let me put. The person at the information booth said my card wasn’t authorized for the train. He let me through and the ticket office authorized it. Took quite some time. The tripkey help line wasn’t working for me or the ticket office - kept getting recordings at 2pm on a Friday. Eventually the office did something and it worked from then on. It took days for tripkey to respond to my email - they said they weren’t responsible.

I returned the card at Hertz in Schipol, got a confirmation 4 days later and my card was charged. 3 1/2 weeks later I haven’t received a statement yet.

I don’t know that the various hassles were worth the convenience since I was only there for 4 days.

3 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam

"The 3rd day I took the bus to Sassenheim to see the flower floats and deco to return by train. I tapped in, it seemed strange, but there’s no staff at that station so I just got on. In Leiden, the barrier wouldn’t let me put. The person at the information booth said my card wasn’t authorized for the train. He let me through and the ticket office authorized it"

As far as I know Tripkey uses NS business cards. Those NS business cards should already be activated for use on the train when they are issued. It's only the regular OV-chipcards that should be activated for travel on trains, because you have to "tell" the OV-card if you are going to be travelling 1st or 2nd class, so it can charge you accordingly. A NS businesscard should already have a subscription on it that determines on what class you can travel.

Do you by any chance recall what your card look like? Did one side of the card look like this: https://www.ns.nl/zakelijk/ns-business-card

Or like this:

ov-chipkaart-kopen.nl/ov-chipkaart-bestellen…

Or like this:

https:/…wat-is-de-ov-chipkaart.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam

It didn’t say business. Of the three pictures it looked like the 2nd one I believe.

Apparently authorization for trains needs to be renewed every 12 months. It was unclear if my card had never been authorized, or if it had expired.

Ticket office in Leiden were amazingly helpful, but had never seen one before.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam

In that case they gave you a regular OVchipkaart, which indeed does need to be activated for use on trains. But if that is the case I don’t see why they are having such issues with getting cards available to their customers. They can easily buy huge quantities of these cards and bring them to their distribution points. I also don’t get how they can make a profit this way, so that might explain their current difficulties....

Edited: 16 May 2018, 02:49
Reply to: Report - picking up Tripkey in Rotterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted