We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
127 reviews
Where to stay flower festival April 2019

I have had a visit to the Keukenhof gardens on my bucket list for years and the flower festival too.

So I decided to look at booking for next year and have provisionally booked a hotel in both Noordwijk Beach and in Haarlem. I know it will be incredibly busy that weekend but it will I hope be worth the crowds to see the flowers and floats.

I haven't booked my flights yet will do that soon and can fly direct. It will be my friend and I so I want to book somewhere that I can easily access by bus from Schipol airport and hopefully then take a bus from wherever we stay direct to the gardens too.

I think from my research so far it would be better for us to maybe stay in Haarlem as we would probably arrive on the Friday afternoon and from what I have read the floats finish off there and you can view them the following day. We could then visit the gardens on the Sunday rather than the day the parade is on hopefully will be slightly quieter.

I can add I hope an extra day on to visit Amsterdam itself on the Monday OR go there on the Saturday as I am trying to keep costs down a bit.

I think if we stayed in or near Noordwijk Beach its closer to the gardens but really not sure which is easier/more to do overall. My friend and I both love flowers so really more interested in that than anything else like not bothered about historical sights but I think Haarlem looks like a miniature Amsterdam which would work for me.

Any advice would be welcome..apart from don't go during the flower festival lol I already kind of figured out is possibly not the better time to visit on some levels but we wouldn't see the floats if we don't come then.

9 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Well, I am afraid I’m going to tell you not to come during the flower parade. Not because of the crowds, but because of the date of the flower parade in 2019. The flower parade is normally held on the 3rd weekend of April, but because in 2019 that weekend is Easter weekend, they moved the parade forward to April 13. To me that seems to be on the early side. Had they held the flower parade at that day this year, they would have had to use tulips from the green houses to decorate the floats. All the flower fields in the bulb region were still green at that time and people visiting the Keukenhof complained about lack of color.

Tulips normally bloom in the last 2 weeks of April and the first week of April. If you also want to see tulips in the Keukenhof and in the tulip fields that surround the Keukenhof, the week after Easter is a much safer bet.

So I guess you will have to choose; the flower parade but a small chance to see tulips in the fields and the Keukenhof or no flower parade but an almost 100% chance to see tulips in the Keukenhof and the fields surrounding it.

Also, if you are coming over especially to see a flower parade, might I suggest a trip to the flower parade in Zundert, a small town near the border with Belgium. On the first Sunday of September, the town of Zundert hosts the biggest flower parade in the Netherlands (some even say the biggest of the world). Having grown up near Zundert and being used to floats of up to 9 meters high and 19 meters long, I was rather underwhelmed by the small floats of the flower parade of the Bulb region. See here for more info about the flower parade in Zundert; http://corsozundert.nl/en/home-2/

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
127 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Thanks I did notice the parade is early next year. I will take your advice and skip the parade in favour of seeing the gardens more likely to be in bloom and will look at visiting the one in September.

So end of April beginning of May may be best thanks.

Could maybe do both next year.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 05:12
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

“So end of April beginning of May may be best thanks.”

I think the week following Easter (April 22/23/24/25/26) will be best.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Thank you do you think Noordswijck or Haarlem better or easier for getting around.

I am leaning towards Haarlem.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Noordwijk doesn’t have a train station, so it’s less ideal if you are depending on public transport. Haarlem is much better connected to both Schiphol and the Keukenhof.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

I think will go for Haarlem ...thanks ...is bit cheaper than Amsterdam for hotels and apartments but can go into Amsterdam by train for the day if we want.

My friend works so weekend or Thursday to Monday the week /weekend would be best for her. Probably still busy but don't mind that and can do as early to the gardens as possible. Haven't looked into any tours of the fields yet.

I will check with her this week and re book. I would prefer an apartment but finding one with twin beds a struggle but will find something or book a hotel.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
1 review
7. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

We went this year and stayed in Leiden. Bus went directly to the Keukenhof and we really liked the town a lot. Just want to throw that into the mix.

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
287 posts
537 reviews
8. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

There is also much more to see and do in Haarlem than Noordwijk. Noordwijk is a beach resort and that is about it. Haarlem is a lively town with a pretty old centre.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
127 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay flower festival April 2019

Will check Leiden out too...as long as you don't need a car to get there.

I think will probably be sticking with Haarlem as it's easy access from the airport and I found a sort of hotel that got great reviews for the restaurant below/attached and can get a balcony room there...like a bit of outside space just in case we get some sunshine.

I like lively towns too and not as much a beach person ..Think the attraction to Noordswijck was the floats started there ..now since not going for that Haarlem is my first choice but will look at other options.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 22:09
Reply to: Where to stay flower festival April 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted