We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

Hi,

What are the limitations with Benelux Rail Pass? Can I use on all trains? Here is where I plan to travel with it.

Brussels - Ghent

Ghent - Brugges -Ghent

Ghent - Antwerp - Ghent

Ghent - Haarlem

Haarlem - The Hague - Haarlem

Haarlem - Delft - Haarlem

Haarlem - Amsterdam - Haarlem

Haarlem - Utrecht

Utrecht - Frankfurt

7 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

The limitations are explained on the Eurail website. There's no reason for someone to regurgitate them here for you.

Either way, it will be a waste of money. Just buy tickets at the station. For your trip from Belgium book the thalys or the IC Brussels ahead of time for the best price. www.b-europe.com

And to Frankfurt on www.bahn.de

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

You will need to do the math yourself, but in general these passes are only worth it for the travel agent that sells them (and who receives a nice commission).

Look up the prices of the individual tickets and compare them to the costs of the pass.

Prices and schedules can be found here: https://www.ns.nl/en

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

Do not get a rail pass. They are an expensive relic of the past and not worth it for making single train trips in a day.

Use www.belgianrail.com and www.ns.nl for journey planning and pricing the various legs. And buy the tickets on the day at the station. For the Gent Haarlem leg buy the Intercity between Antwerp and Amsterdam a week in advance on www.b-europe.com or www.nshispeed.nl for the cheap advance tickets.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,897 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

The 8 day Benelux pass works out at €26 per day. The longest trip you are doing is Ghent to Haarlem which is about €29 or so.

Haarlem to Amsterdam is about €9 round trip. To Delft is €21. Den Haag €18 so you would be wasting quite a lot of money.

You can't use it to get to Germany anyway.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,518 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

"Ghent - Antwerp - Ghent

Ghent - Haarlem"

That seems a bit odd. You need to pass through Antwerp to get from Gent to Haarlem.

Instead of doing a day trip from Gent to Antwerp (I assume it's a day trip?) stop off at Antwerp on the way to Haarlem. Leave your luggage in the lockers at Antwerp station while you have a look around the city.

North Babylon, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

When you are there travelling, you'll find it invaluable to use the ‘DB Navigator’ app (Deutsche Bahn – German Train app which provides information for train travel not just in Germany, but throughout Europe). It's awesome! Especially if you need to change trains! Not only does this app work decently well without a Wi-Fi connection, although you can access free Wi-Fi pretty consistently on Dutch trains, but the app indicates the track your train will arrive on and the track your connecting train will leave on. I have to admit; until I found this app, that was one of the main sources of anxiety for me with my trip because I knew that I would spend a total of 5 days taking trains that often required multiple connections, and some of the connections were as short as 3 minutes. Yes, I packed super light, but still…every train station is totally different and they can be very confusing, and I really didn’t want to miss any connections. I don’t know how I would have made all those quick connections without DB Navigator. My train travel savior.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands

“but the app indicates the track your train will arrive on and the track your connecting train will leave on”

The app of the Dutch railway company NS does the exact same thing. It will also keep you updated on track changes and will give you a warning if your train is late. The app is called “NS Reisplanner Xtra”

Reply to: Train Travel Belgium and Netherlands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted