We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Ahead....April 2019

Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Ahead....April 2019

knowing this is one of the busiest times to go , when do you need to secure a hotel room. Planning on spending a week in Amsterdam. If the hotels are too pricey maybe consider a vrbo?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

I'd start looking at pricing any time now. Most rates for April should be up. If you find hotels being sold out that just means it's to early for them as far as rates.

April is a very expensive month. Also a very popular month. If you are going to see (relatively) lower rates you will see them early. Don't expect prices to drop.

If you have your dates now I will take a look. Otherwise get back to us when you do have them.

As far as apts make sure you run anything you are interested in by our apt experts. Then have saved folks a fortune avoiding scams.

As far as a hotel your lowest rates will be non refundable. Refundable rates tend to be a premium.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 11:21
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

I find some of the short term rental platforms do better in some cities than others. Take a look at VRBO in Amsterdam (I have rented multiple flats through them) but I think AirBnB has a broader range. Recent tightening of municipal codes has served to drive prices up. While this is a little outdated most of the information and caution contained is still valid:

https:/…Renting.An.Apartment.html

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

I would never book this far out. Check in December or later and avoid Easter weekend if you can (21st April next year).

There's also a good number of new hotels opening in 2018. If you are staying for a week you might want to take a look at this new aparthotel in the nice Plantage area http://www.thewittenberg.com or you can try https://www.ericvokel.com

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

Are you visiting to see the tulips? If so, you should aim for the 3rd or 4th week of April.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

Ron, if they can get a decent non refundable rate why not book now?

IMO the refundable prices will be lower today than they will be 3-6 months from now.

Do a refundable as soon as you see something decent then keep looking possibly doing a non refundable later.

Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

Thank you all.

So I was trying to avoid the Flower parade next year on April 13 and Kings day on April 27 and then Easter on April 21st.

I can go anytime. I thought avoiding those days and going the 2nd week in April I would be ok to see the tulips in Holland. That is just something I have always wanted to do.

But one poster said go the last 2 weeks so then I will go April 20-27 and hope for the best as far as crowds and prices or will that not even matter?

Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

thank you. So you say to avoid Easter Weekend, Is that worse than the flower parade and Kings day?

I am flexible but I want to go when the flowers are in bloom.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

The last date I can look for at Priceline is April 6. So that means about 3-4 weeks and all of April will be up.

Looking at April 1-6 as a FYI I see some quite good rates.

The NH Amsterdam Center at $146 usd a night. About 130 euros or so. The refundable rate is $192. Is a good 4 star.

The Mercure central Amsterdam comes in at $180 A good 4 star.

Pick a site like Priceline, booking.com, any site-----with a little effort you can look at a range of dates and see which ones make more sense price wise.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 08:15
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

“But one poster said go the last 2 weeks so then I will go April 20-27 and hope for the best as far as crowds and prices or will that not even matter?”

That “one poster” was me. If your aim is to see the tulips, you should come in the last 2 weeks of April or first week of May. Somewhere around April 22/23/24/25/26 would probably be best. Yes there will be crowds, but the crowds are there because of the very fact that that time gives you the highest chance of seeing tulips in bloom and you are certainly not the only one that wants to see them. This year we had a late spring and lots of visitors that went to the Keukenhof in early April complained that the Keukenhof still looked green.

The flower parade is normally held on the 3rd weekend of April, but because of Easter they moved it forward to April 13. To me that seems to be on the early side. Had they held the flower parade at that day this year, they would have had to use tulips from the green houses to decorate the floats.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 16:54
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Ahead....April 2019

>>Ron, if they can get a decent non refundable rate why not book now?<<

Well because not all hotels have even released their bookings for next April yet so you are limiting choice and as I said there are some new hotels opening this year so you would be completely missing out on those.

A refundable booking where you didn't have to pay until you get tot he hotel, fine, but a non refundable one that already has your money for nearly a whole year where anything could happen that you had to cancel. Well I could go on but I won't.

>>So you say to avoid Easter Weekend, Is that worse than the flower parade and Kings day?<<

The flower parade is not in Amsterdam. Easter is one of the busiest weekends in Amsterdam. Kings day is busy but quite fun. If you want to avoid crowds then go elsewhere that day. Like the K'hof for instance.

Reply to: Planning Ahead....April 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted