We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hauge + Delft?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
The Hauge + Delft?

We were planning to visit the Hauge and Delft, and thought we could combine the trips. At the Hague we wanted to visit the main art museum and also the jail museum. It seems that, after that, we'd likely arrive in Delft after the museums are closed. Do you recommend this plan? Are there still things to do in Delft in the evening? What would be the best Transit options (staying in Amsterdam)? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Delft
Delft
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
The Hague
The Hague
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
8 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

When is your trip? Makes a difference because of when the sun goes down. If this summer, Delft is very cute and walking around would be very nice. You can have dinner.

If you buy a return ticket to Delft, you can stop in The Hague on the same ticket.

Mentioned in this post
The Hague
The Hague
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

I'm heading there is the summer. For clarity, are you suggesting that I buy one round trip ticket to delft, get off at the Hauge, get back on and go to Delft, and then return to Amsterdam? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Delft
Delft
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

Yes, exactly.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

If you plan on visiting The Hague and Delft in 1 day, I would drop the jailmuseum and just stick to the Mauritshuis (I’m assuming that’s what you mean by “the main art museum”). If you want to visit another museum in The Hague, I would choose the Escher Museum over the jail museum.

Make sure you download the Mauritshuis app onto your mobile phone and bring your headphones. The free Mauritshuis app contains an excellent audio guide.

Oh, and it’s either Den Haag (in Dutch) or The Hague ( in English), there is no The Hauge...

Mentioned in this post
The Hague
The Hague
Delft
Delft
The Hague
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

The Hague is well worth the time, you'll find the Girl with a Pearl Earring here (in museum Mauritshuis) and a lot of Rembrandt paintings too. Delft is half an hour from The Hague by tram (nice ride) or 10 minutes by train. Easy to combine. Also The Hague is less crowded than Amsterdam so you may want to stay here too!

Mentioned in this post
The Hague
The Hague
Delft
Delft
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

Thanks, sorry for the spelling mistakes. I thought to do the jail museum rather than the Escher museum because our overall trip is very art museum heavy. I'd appreciate any feedback on what you think is best given our overall itinerary. My main concern is whether Delft is worthwhile as an evening trip.

Mentioned in this post
Delft
Delft
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

Also, if anyone could say whether the tram or train between den Haag and delft is a better idea, given that I also need to get back to Amsterdam. I'm also open to biking between the two

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Hauge + Delft?

The bike ride between The Hague and Delft is mainly through boring suburban residential areas, it's doable but not the most interesting for sightseeing.

The train takes 6 minutes and the tram 26 minutes. In Delft, the tram stop at the train station would be the best for visiting the city, but in The Hague there's a tram stop for the city centre that's a bit closer than the Central Station (saves you about 10 minutes walk). The views from the tram are a bit nicer, as you are at street level.

Mentioned in this post
The Hague
The Hague
Delft
Delft
Reply to: The Hauge + Delft?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted