We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle parking

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Bicycle parking

I've been reading up on bicycling in Amsterdam and I'm planning on using a bike as my main form of transit. One question I have is about overnight or full day parking (I'm fully familiar with how to safely lock a bike). I've read that there are bike garages and even municipal bike garages. What should I use when I'm on a day trip out of the Central station? What should I use overnight?

7 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle parking

What do you mean with "a day trip out of the Central station"? What you do with your bike depends on where in the city you are, how long you want to leave your bike and maybe on how fancy your bike is. There is no general answer for all situations. Do what the locals do would be a good guideline.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle parking

Be sure to use both locks and try to chain it to something solid. Just look around and see how everyone else is doing it. At Centraal I usually park in the racks between the east side of the station and the Doubletree. Your bike rental should offer theft insurance for a buck or so a day. It wouldn't be a half bad idea.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle parking

Sorry if I wasn't clear. On some days I plan to travel locally in Amsterdam, and on those occasions I plan to simply lock my bike up at the appropriate place. On other days, I'm planning to bike to the Central station and then take trains out of the city and return in the evening. For this situation, where is the best place to park? I'd love to do what locals do, but I don't have a good way of knowing that, which is why I'm posting here. I'm also interested what to do about overnight parking.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle parking

You'll know what the locals do by looking around. Overnight you park it just like during the day, or for a week, or for 9 months like I've done for years.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle parking

Will you bring some kind of fancy bike or will you just have a bruiser?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle parking

I'm renting. I was planning on renting from Ajax bikes, but I didn't see online if they offer insurance

Europe
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycle parking

There are plenty of bike parkings around the station, it's impossible to miss them. Make sure you park in a dedicated bike rack otherwise the city might remove your bike.

Reply to: Bicycle parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted