We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

Hello,

My family (mom, dad and almost 4yo) are going to be in the Netherlands from June 1 to 9.

We are staying in from 4 to 6 in Noordwijkerhout.

Days 5 and 6 dad will be busy and mom and toddler should be doing something not too far and kid friendly. For the other days we were thinking Amsterdan, Utrecht, Rotterdam, Haarlem, hogeveluwe. Not sure how long in each city and if we should add other places to it too. Also, should we just use trains or hire a car? I wonder since we are three if hiring a car could be cheaper.

We are looking for architecture, flowers, nature, trying good local food. Our days should start around 8am and end around 7pm. We don't plan to bring a stroller with us, only carry him in a backpack if he needs to.

What would be you experts suggestion?

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

If I understood your post correctly, you are staying i the Netherlands from June 1 to June 9, but you only have a hotel booking for June 4 to June 6?

The Netherlands is very compact and public transport will get you (almost) everywhere. I would select 1 city as your base, for instance Utrecht, and make day trips by train to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Haarlem, Hoge Veluwe etc from there.

See https://www.ns.nl/en for train schedules, to see how easy and quick you can move around by train in the Netherlands.

Haarlem, Rotterdam and Utrecht can be explored in 1 day, but you will need several days for Amsterdam.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
324 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

Agree with Breda.

About your question car vs. public transport. I'd advice the latter. Use a 'rail runner' for the toddler, which is a full day all NS-trains ticket for just € 2,50. Plan your route through 9292.nl or Google Maps.

A car might be useful for the Hoge Veluwe.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
3. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

Not sure about trains as it will already be quite a trip to get to a train station from Noordwijkerhout. Renting a car is probably better but beware that you'll need a safety seat for the toddler which is usually expensive to get from the car rental company.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

ASW; there are only staying in Noordwijkerhout from June 4 until June 6. Lots of business conferences or courses are held at the NH hotel in Noordwijkerhout, coupled that with the fact that “dad” is busy in June 5 and 6, leads me to believe that dad is coming to the Netherlands for a conference and that his family is joining him.

If I did not understand correctly and they are staying in Noordwijkerhout for the entire duration of their stay, than indeed public transport is not a very handy option. However I do believe they don’t have a place to stay yet from June 1 to June 4 and from June 6 to June 9.

canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
5. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

Breda_Travelgirl you did understand that correctly. Dad will be busy with work (conference) during those two days. We have the hotel booked because of that. The other days that I mentioned are free for us to plan anything. We don't have anything set yet, as we only have the tickets arriving and leaving the netherlands, and the hotel booked for those days. We started planning that yesterday, and those cities/places I mentioned seemed more interesting, but I'd love to hear from most experienced people what they advise. Especially taking into consideration that we have a toddler. He's a great walker, but we have the backpack as I mentioned. We will be bringing our car seat for another part of the trip in which we will have a car (not Holland).

We have never been to the country before.

6. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 November 2018, 09:37

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3

Like I said in my earlier post, I recommend you stay somewhere central and close to a train station. Utrecht is an ideal base from where you can easily train to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Haarlem. Even Maastricht in the very southern part of the Netherland is doable from Utrecht.

You can also think about spending 1 night at theme park The Efteling https://www.efteling.com/en

Reply to: itinerary suggestions June 1 to 9 for family of 3
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted